Carpenter doesnt want to recess hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting a new front door hung and the carpenter wants to fit the hinges onto the door without recessing them as the frame recess is quite deep.

AFAIK he should be packing the hinge out on the frame a bit??? As I see it he is taking the easy way and not bothering to recess the hinge on the door.

Am I being too pedantic here?

Sponsored Links
The norm is to recess the hinge into both the frame and the door. That's what you are taught as an apprentice, and at least part of the reason is so that the pivot point for the door is in the correct place. Has he given you a reason why he won't do it this way?

BTW this has not always been standard practice. In this part of the world there are many Victorian terraced houses where the (cast) hinges are let in on the door side only; we own one. I suspect it was done that way simply for speed and nothing more, although I'd be interested to know if anyone else has an opinion on this

I have seen it done a long time ago in Lancashire about 1970 I think it was a method that came from guy's that had been "cottage walloping"as they called it,doing new build as fast as possible .but it was interesting that J and K has seen it on victorian work ,The Victorians certainly knocked a lot of houses in quick time ,nawt's new.My normal way of working is to let the hinge in to both door and frame ,There is an interesting difference North and south of England the hinge is used different way up or round ,I have heard the saying in the south"The most to the post"Has anyone else heard of this and where does the direction change?Perhaps Birmingham?

Sponsored Links
I have seen it done a long time ago in Lancashire about 1970 I think it was a method that came from guy's that had been "cottage walloping"as they called it,doing new build as fast as possible .but it was interesting that J and K has seen it on victorian work ,The Victorians certainly knocked a lot of houses in quick time ,nawt's new.My normal way of working is to let the hinge in to both door and frame ,There is an interesting difference North and south of England the hinge is used different way up or round ,I have heard the saying in the south"The most to the post"Has anyone else heard of this and where does the direction change?Perhaps Birmingham?

well fairly similar,
the most knuckles to the frame.

plz explain where does the direction change??
what does this mean?

well fairly similar,
the most knuckles to the frame.

In Southern England its one way round as we said and the other way up North, so coming south the system must change at some point where could that be ? Any clues

plz explain where does the direction change??
what does this mean?

ah ha, :oops:

ive had various arguments over the years with other chippys that the lettering on a hinge must always be the right way up so it can be read, :confused:
but ive allways disregarded this and put the butts on the way i was taught which is the 'knuckle way'.
funny enough im carrying out fire proofing works where i work,which means taking off countless doors and replacing the fire strips which are smooth and replacing with smoke and most of the hinges are fitted round the wrong way.im putting them back my way.

ah ha, :oops:

ive had various arguments over the years with other chippys that the lettering on a hinge must always be the right way up so it can be read, :confused:
but ive allways disregarded this and put the butts on the way i was taught which is the 'knuckle way'.
funny enough im carrying out fire proofing works where i work,which means taking off countless doors and replacing the fire strips which are smooth and replacing with smoke and most of the hinges are fitted round the wrong way.im putting them back my way.

I'm sure you will get your reward one day

It sounds a bit like Gullivers Travels..... Big-Endians/Little-Endians...... :LOL:

If the recess for the door is a lot larger than the door, then possibly he could use infill strips to reduce the recess on the lock side (or possibly even both sides) ,,,, buy a door slightly larger and plane/cut down to fit correctly,,,, change the frame for one the correct size,, or just accept the joiner's word that he's doing the best he can in a bad situation. ;) ;)

On older properties you tend to find these bast**d size doors (as they're called in the trade) ;) ;)

I'm getting a new front door hung and the carpenter wants to fit the hinges onto the door without recessing them as the frame recess is quite deep.

AFAIK he should be packing the hinge out on the frame a bit??? As I see it he is taking the easy way and not bothering to recess the hinge on the door.

As the saying goes, "He who pays the piper calls the tune"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back