Fixing a door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in a house which has a couple of doors that will not stay open. When the doors where put up when the house was built (7yrs) ago it looks like the carpenter bent the spine of the hinge to make it stiffer so the door would stay open. I have recently changed the old hinges with new brass ones and want to fix the door properly.
Somebody told me that what is usually at fault is the door frame not being level. I would upload a picture to illustrate but I cannot see an option on here to do that,so I will try and explain the best I can.
So if a door is not staying open, which way to I a just the hinge side of the frame to fix this problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
For the door to stay where you leave it, the hinge pins need to be in line and plumb (easily checked with a plumbline). The door will try to settle in line with the direction the top hinge is out of alignment with the bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back