Moving phone dropwire, no master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Telephone wiring in house is archaic.

Drop wire is hanging and goes to a junction box. From there the rest of the house is wired.

20200915_084314.jpg

Who's responsibility is the cable?
If I wanted it rerouted into the upstairs middle room, who can do this?

I don't have a master phone socked, just the yellow painted junction box.

Due to age, who can install (and is it free) a master socket? I underatand the phone company are responsible up to the master socket. Unsure whats mine and what is theirs

Attachments

• 20200915_084302.jpg
    20200915_084302.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 270
Sponsored Links
I underatand the phone company are responsible up to the master socket. Unsure whats mine and what is theirs

If you do not have a master socket and the phone is hardwired ( as in NOT plug in ) then OpenReach "own" the wiring and probably the phone as well.

Do NOT touch the over head cable from the house to the pole. The tension in that cable can pull an in-experience and/or ill equiped person off the ladder.

If you have not got an NTE master socket then you may get a free install of a master socket.

NTE = Network Termination Equipment, the boundary between the wires of OpenReach and the wires of the people in the house

Phones arent wired in. There are a number of "normal" sockets sporadocally placed around the house, feeding from the painted yellow junction box inside of the porch.

Sponsored Links
Really pleasantly surprised. Spoke woth phone provider yesterday night, mentioned no NTE and described what I have. An engineer was booked for 11 days time.

Openreach engineer arrived today. He took pity, moved the drop wire to the house, instead of porch, with enough slack to nail it to the wall when we replace the porch, ran new cable and a master socket to the front room, connected the fiber etc.

Top bloke. Fantastic service. Neat cabling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back