Moving pipework in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a new radiator which is a different size to the old as it was a very old radiator and also very close to the wall as it had no fins. In the photo X marks the new location.

I was planning on making a channel in the concrete floor and connect using plastic pipes and fittings, but pretty worried I won't be able to get a good fit on the old pipe with concrete stuck to it, or damage the existing copper pipe.

Any suggestions how to do this neatly, or should I just have exposed pipework to the new location above ground which is a bit ugly.

Thanks (from my currently cold study!)

Attachments

• IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    548.8 KB · Views: 380
Sponsored Links
I don't see why the visible Pipework can't be altered neatly to accommodate your new rad ,using copper pipe and soldered fittings .

Copper pipework in concrete should be sleeved to protect it, (concrete/screed products attack copper), so theoretically, if you cut back the floor enough to expose the pipework, then the sleeving should be able to be removed enough to cut the copper and make a joint. Ensure any exposed copper is adequately protected though before making good the floor.

However, making an above floor connection is going to be far easier, tuck the pipework back to the wall to avid damage and take your time to get it right, and you'll be warm again quicker!

Yeah, I think you are right. I've never done any soldering pipework, so need to buy all the equipment which is a bit of a pain too.

Ive attached a diagram of the pipework, all using right angles. Does this look about right?

Attachments

• IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 190
Sponsored Links
Why don't you buy a rad that is a longer length ,your pic indicates the pipe centres are too far apart ??

The pipework was going to have to move anyway as it would be too close to the wall for a modern type22 radiator. I couldn't get a radiator the exact same length either.

I understand that ,but you have selected a smaller length ,a longer length would make more sense ,as Pipework could be hidden under the rad ,or at least less visible and neater looking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back