Moving Rad - floor joist in the way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20220119_150930.jpg
Right under where my rad is required there sits one of the floor joists. Therefore I cant easily drop the pipes from the valves into the floor space. Whats the best way of doing this? Notch the joist so I can get an elbow in?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Right under where my rad is required there sits one of the floor joists. Therefore I cant easily drop the pipes from the valves into the floor space. Whats the best way of doing this? Notch the joist so I can get an elbow in?

You can buy adapters, which allow existing old radiators, to be replaced with modern ones a little less wide. One of those would move where the pipe needs to rise vertically up from the floor.

Sponsored Links
The way I understand your problem, is that the radiator pipe as it goes into the floor, will hit a joist. Is that correct?

You can extend or move the radiator valve horizontally, with one of those extensions, so it misses the joist.

The way I understand your problem, is that the radiator pipe as it goes into the floor, will hit a joist. Is that correct?

You can extend or move the radiator valve horizontally, with one of those extensions, so it misses the joist.
I’m not sure that would work, as the joist is running horizontally, so it would still hit the joist.

@WabbitPoo, could you offset the pipe?

Options are limited. Neatest is use a pipe bender to put a jog in the tube. With 15mm you can do it with a bending spring over your knee but be prepared to waste a few sections getting it right.
Shoddy is have the pipe dropping at an angle, but it'll look rubbish.
Fairly shoddy is 2 45 degree elbows forming the jog.

Just notch the joist. You don't even need to notch the full thickness of the joist.

The alternative is to S bend the pipes under the rad valve so that they can drop into the floor and miss the joist.

Last edited:
Now I have grasped the problem, what is at the back of the wall behind the radiator - could you go through the wall then down?

We're making a meal of this. Notch the joist and use a 90 elbow.
Pulled bend wont give you the tight radius you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back