Moving radiator pipe slightly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noob question alert. Note that I am doing this from below, so the picture is underneath the pipework.

I'm installing a new radiator and I need to move a pipe slightly. The 22mm pipe will not budge and I don't want to force it as it will strain some other joints, so I am left with adjusting the pipe to the radiator.

unnamed.jpg

My initial plan was to cut it off and stick a speedfit elbow on but the soldered elbow fitting goes straight onto the reducer from the tee, so there's no 15mm pipe to work with.

I don't fancy my soldering skills in such a tight spot.

What would you do? Is it time to call in a pro?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
so you need to move the pipe forward and across about an inch?
if you're not going to solder it, do it with compression fittings rather than push fit.

fit the rad valve, drill a hole in the floor (mind those cables!) and drop a bit of 15mm down, that'll give you a better picture of what you need to alter.
it maybe the case where you can cut in a 22 x 22 x 15 compression tee into the existing 22 and that'll go into your new pipe you've just dropped, then a small bit of 22 and join that onto the other end with a compression 22 straight

Sponsored Links
so you need to move the pipe forward and across about an inch?
if you're not going to solder it, do it with compression fittings rather than push fit.

fit the rad valve, drill a hole in the floor (mind those cables!) and drop a bit of 15mm down, that'll give you a better picture of what you need to alter.
it maybe the case where you can cut in a 22 x 22 x 15 compression tee into the existing 22 and that'll go into your new pipe you've just dropped, then a small bit of 22 and join that onto the other end with a compression 22 straight

Thanks Gasmanstu

Actually the pipe just needs to come forward about an inch. It doesn't need to go across at all.

What I'm finding tricky is there is no room on that tee at all. There's the tiniest bit of 15mm between the elbow fitting and the reducer on the tee. I really don't see how I can bring the pipe forward. And that 22mm pipe will not budge at all.

Would it be easier for me to cap off the existing 15mm part of the tee, fit a new 22m x 22mm x 15mm tee nearby and run the new 15mm into that? Seems a bit bodgey and would be a shame as the pipe is otherwise in the right position.

107848-d4be83b2a103c46f8e6e351d198b0c40.jpg

bit like this (except without the funky colours)

Ah ok I think I understand what you're saying. Thanks!

Given that I don't need to move the pipe over, does this sound like a good plan?

1. Cut the old tee out
2. Extend existing 22mm pipe if necessary with straight coupling and some 22m pipe
3. Replace old tee with new compression 22 x 22 x 15 tee
4. Install new 15mm pipe into tee

I think this old tee with the reducing end is using up space and the replacement tee should be smaller to give me more room to bring the pipe forward

You can do the middle T as a solder and the 90 degree bend with a bend as you can do all this in advanced of installing between the two compression fittings.

You can do the middle T as a solder and the 90 degree bend with a bend as you can do all this in advanced of installing between the two compression fittings.

Any tips for bending without a pipe bender? ;) Don't fancy dropping 70 quid on one.

Actually my biggest problem right now is getting my 22mm pipe cutter around the pipe. Really tempted to get a pro in!

A bending spring !- down the 15mm upright - then ease pipe forward at the top - it will meet the new rad lower down . It will look crooked but I've seen worse ;) If not the way is as gasman stu outlined. To use a spring you need a hacksawed pipe end ( not tube cutter )

So even with replacing the tee with a compression joint the elbow compressions are still too big to allow me to bring the pipe forward. There's just not enough room.

I think my only option is to solder a new elbow fitting.

Thanks for everyone's help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back