Radiator pipes too close to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am a bit of a noob looking for some advice, if anyone can help!

I am replacing 2 old single skin radiators with new double units, that are also slightly narrower. (see pics)

The problem I have is the current rad pipes and bottom of radiator are tight against the skirting board, as the skirting board is thick and tall. There is no way a new unit will line up with the current pipes. What are my options here? I was thinking about using a solder elbow to bring the pipe away from the board, then back up and join to a radiator extension tail piece to account for the new rad width. The floor is solid oak so there isn’t really the provision to cut the floor and bring the pipes forward....

Any advice or assistance would be great, cheers

Chris

//media.diynot.com/196000_195583_52286_98712184_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/196000_195583_52287_84270398_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
What I would do is go for the next rad size up (length wise) an then what that will do is two things. 1) you got more space/ease to get you pipes in without the restrict of trying to squeezing it in unless you still want a rad valve at a funny angle an 2) with the extra bit of length, you can straighten the horizontal pipe that would go under the rad a little so it wouldn't be unnoticeable tbh. It's that or you could try elbow with a street elbow but like I say it will still be angled an with longer rad you wouldn't notice pipe work as it could be hidden a bit underneath the rad.

So basically how it would look is - angled pipe - elbow - 50mm (2") pipe which you angle horizontal - elbow into rad

P.s - make sure you cut near top of that angled pipe or else your goin to struggle a-little with the soldering & make sure you get a decent burn matt to protect the wood. You need to get 100% of that paint of the pipe to get a good solder seal.

Hope that made sense

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back