Raising the pipe work for a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if I could get some advice. I need to raise the pipes for a radiator by about an inch or 2 so I can put the brackets on for a new rad without having to cut into the skirting board. Would an extension value on either side work for this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What extension valves have you seen? What radiator/valve are these going on? (photos would help). If your talking about a traditional radiator where the valves fit on either side then I'm going to guess these extensions your talking about are the wrong thing (assuming your looking at valve tail extensions which go between the valve and the radiator). If you can post a picture of your radiator/pipes that would help telling you exactly what is needed.

The radiator is the same size (more by luck than judgement!) Basically I think the tail extensions are the wrong thing. I'm basically needing to extend the pipes from the floor up to the lock shield valve and the temperature value (not a TRV) if that is relevant. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to upload a picture but in terms of the valves going into the rad they are on the bottom at the sides so the actual fitting is pretty straight forward it's just the option of being able to lift it another inch or 2 from the floor that I would like.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
1. You might be lucky and find there's enough slack in the existing pipes, once you take the current radiator off, to reach the new position.
2. Are you sure the distance of the pipes from the wall will be the same for the old and new? If not its more complicated.
3. If pipes are copper:
3a. Then if you can get at the pipes under the floor, cut the existing and insert a short but two inch longer length of pipe using a straight connector.
3b. If you can't get under floor, do as 3a but above floor.
4. If pipes are plastic:
4a. Identify make and use pipe / fittings fro same manufacturer.
4b. If you can get under floor, cut pipes and use new pipe and elbow or straight connector to new piece to existing.
4c. If you can't get under floor, use a brass or chrome compression straight connector. Far from ideal as is will show.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back