Smaller radiator - height / width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Need some advice. Looking to change a radiator in a room. Current radiator is Type 11 / single panel, 600 x 1440. Want to replace it with a Type 21 500 x 1000.
Can that be done without having to replace the plumbing & piping (ie pulling up the floor boards). Can the new smaller radiator be made to fit the existing pipes and valves via some extension plumbing.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice,

RG

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Rob.
Appreciate the response.

Basically the scenario is that we are already having some major refurbishment work done in some other rooms, including changing the radiators. But those rooms will have the carpet / floor boards lifted and new plumbing done so it easy to install a different sized radiators.
I'm taking advantage of the trades that will be there and will ask them to change the radiator in another room (which is not having any other refurbishment done). My wife thinks we should put in a smaller radiator to the previous one, I am less inclined. But if we do go ahead with that (without complete replumbing) I think it may end up looking very strange.
Hence my question - just wondering if its doable without looking like a bodge.

Thanks again,

RG

The longest radiator tail extensions I have come across are 100mm, so you could get down to a 1300 without pipework mods?
But I think that may end up looking a bit silly! :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your all your responses. apologies for not responding earlier

Personally, I am happy to keep the same / similar sized radiator. It's the missus that wants to replace with a smaller radiator.
Even though we would be moving from single panel to double panel, the room in question gets cold especially during winter, as it's north facing and that shaded by some big trees outside. So decent sized radiator would keep it warm.
This particular one is also fully exposed / in full-view. So it probably would end up looking quite silly.
Maybe if one you can convince the missus :)

Thanks,

RG

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your all your responses. apologies for not responding earlier

Personally, I am happy to keep the same / similar sized radiator. It's the missus that wants to replace with a smaller radiator.
Even though we would be moving from single panel to double panel, the room in question gets cold especially during winter, as it's north facing and that shaded by some big trees outside. So decent sized radiator would keep it warm.
This particular one is also fully exposed / in full-view. So it probably would end up looking quite silly.
Maybe if one you can convince the missus :)

Thanks,

RG
Why not go for a 600 x 1440 double? That way you don't need unsightly pipe mods, and you get more heat output. If it's too much you can throttle it down if it hasn't got a TRV. Or you could add one while you're at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back