Replacing radiator with slightly smaller one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm planning on replacing a radiator with a slightly smaller one and was hoping somebody could give me a bit of advice what parts I need to do this

The radiator I've got at the moment is 1149mm wide so I know it's an old imperial size so the plan is to change it to an 1100 wide metric one and then use extensions to reduce the gap between the pipes but thats as far as I get before I get lost

The pipes are 15mm diameter and are 1190mm from centre to centre. The radiator I'm planning to fit is 1100mm wide (specifically this one http://www.screwfix.com/p/kudox-typ...e-panel-convector-radiator-700-x-1100mm/76803)

As I understand it I will need to replace the valves and also install some extension pieces to fill the gap from the valve to the radiator but I'm not entirely sure exactly which ones I need to buy so if anyone could help me out that'd be appreciated

I think I need some of these from this page but which length I haven't a clue. Anyone know? http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Rad+Valve+Extension/p24460

Sponsored Links
No need to change the rad valves. 2x20mm extensions will suffice if you have a little play in the pipes. The extensions fit in the rad, then take the tails out the old rad, clean, ptfe and fit to extensions.

Myson make imperial sized radiators. They are slightly more expensive than metric radiators but it will save the hastle with extension pieces and look better as well.

No need to change the rad valves. 2x20mm extensions will suffice if you have a little play in the pipes. The extensions fit in the rad, then take the tails out the old rad, clean, ptfe and fit to extensions.

Thanks a lot. Is it as simple as that then? Somebody told me that when replacing a radiator I HAVE to replace the valves as you can't put a new radiator on an old valve.

Also would I be best off buying a couple of 20 and 30mm extensions just to be on the safe side in case I don't have much flexibility in the pipes?

Sponsored Links
If the valves don't pass when shutting off there is no need, however if they're ancient then change them. Yes get 2 x 20mm and a 30 if play could be an issue.

Myson make imperial sized radiators. They are slightly more expensive than metric radiators but it will save the hastle with extension pieces and look better as well.

Thanks for the reply, I had a look at the Myson ones but they were around double the price of a standard sized radiator and the looks of it isn't really essential as the radiator isn't really seen where it is in the room. Using the extension piece should it be fairly straightforward? I've taken a radiator off for access behind it before and then put it back on so once I've added the extensions to the radiator should the process be the same as I've done before?

If the valves don't pass when shutting off there is no need, however if they're ancient then change them. Yes get 2 x 20mm and a 30 if play could be an issue.

Once again thanks a lot, the information is a big help

I'll get a couple of the 20's and 1 30 just in case then

I might also buy a couple of valves while i'm there just in case I take the radiator off only to find I need new valves. When I hopefully don't use them I can always take them back as I'll be passing screwfix on thursday anyway. Next question is which valves do I buy? I assume it's 15mm angled ones based on the pipes being 15mm wide but I noticed that the 8 or 10mm ones just said 'angled valves' and the 15mm ones said 'high pressure valves' are they different?

Should be fairly easy, the hardest bit will be getting the brackets at the correct hight, especially if there is not much vertical 'play' in the pipes ;)

You can also get telescopic extension peices, this may be easier for you

Yes only difference you will be putting extensions on to new rad, then removing old tails to suit.

Should be fairly easy, the hardest bit will be getting the brackets at the correct hight, especially if there is not much vertical 'play' in the pipes ;)

You can also get telescopic extension peices, this may be easier for you

I'll make sure I measure the bracket heights about 100 times before I attempt to install them and I've seen the telescopic ones but reviews seem to suggest that they leak quite easily so I'll just have an attempt with the various fixed extensions and i'm sure it will be fine

if the pipe centres are 1190mm and the new rad is 1100mm then you do not need extensions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back