Radiator valve extension problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noobie to central heating so please be gentle!

I bought a couple of the 25mm radiator extensions to help replace an old radiator. See the following page.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Heating/Radiator+Valves/Rad+Valve+Extension+10mm/d230/sd2762/p37352

1.. Have I fitted them correctly by putting these into the radiator (with PTFE tape) and then fitting the valve tails into the extensions (again with PTFE) with the tail then connected to the valve as compression joint?

If this is wrong should it be the other way round with the valve tail in the radiator and the extension then between the tail and the valve?

2.. If I am doing this correctly then please help with the following problem. After several attempts of removing and redoing the PTFE tape I always seem to have a very very tiny leak on one side coming from the connection between the extension and the radiator. I only feel it if I rub a tissue and it isn't dripping. Any idea what I could do to fix the problem?

Sponsored Links
1 - extention then tail.
2 - more ptfe and wrap it anti clockwise so when screwing in clockwise it don't unwind the ptfe.

Use gas ptfe its far better or buy similar extensions from plumbcentre they come with 0 rings and never had one leak

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back