Rad valve extensions (fixed type) Sealing?

Sponsored Links
Did the job this weekend. Used plumbcenter center-rad radiators which are a rebranded Myson Rettig. Used Pegler valves. I gave the copper tails a blast with the blowtorch to get rid of the paint and slacken the old olives off. I cleaned the tails with wire wool and checked they were not dented or oval. (One I did a few years ago in the bathroom had such an overtightened joint that the pipe had a severe waist in it and I decided to solder a new piece in at floorboard level; no carpet at the time).
I fitted the new valves with a smear of boss white around the olives and nut thread. I fitted the extensions and tails with the loctite 55 which reminds me of thick dental floss. They screwed together smoothly with a consistent torque, no binding or squeaking.

Anyway, no leaks or weeps so far, thanks for the advice!

The first pic is one I did a few years ago ustairs with all-PTFE tape. Toolstation rad (Kudox) & valves. The pipe wasn't bent my me, it comes out of the floorboard like that. The housebuilder used underfloor bends rather than elbows and they do bind a bit on the floorboards.
The last pic is the one in the lounge with the Loctite 55 floss. The pipe comes out of the floor at a slight angle, plumber in a rush I guess.

rad3.jpg

rad2.jpg

I've used these extenders before and see no issues in them. If it isn't practical to run a new straight feed I feel these look better than a couple of elbows on the supply pipe up out the floor.

Sponsored Links
I fitted the new valves with a smear of boss white around nut thread.
I curse when I see this.....there's no reason whatsoever to smear paste around the thread , it does absoloutley fook all apart from causing grief for the next guy....same deal when using paste on immersion heater threads , bastad to remove when replacement is required.

I fitted the new valves with a smear of boss white around nut thread.
I curse when I see this.....there's no reason whatsoever to smear paste around the thread , it does absoloutley fook all apart from causing grief for the next guy....same deal when using paste on immersion heater threads , bastad to remove when replacement is required.

Haha always makes me chuckle when I see ptfe all over compression threads. It's the bloody olive that does all the work!! Haha

My uncle showed me the boss white trick on old pipes, he's an old school plumber. I've never had leaks with boss white but I've had a few compression fittings weep when used dry. I know how compression fittings work. A bit of something on the threads stops them squeaking when you nip them up. I dont know where I said to use PTFE on a compression fitting, it wasn't me.

The thing is not all compression fitting are the same or equally leak proof. You get cheap cheap tradesaver imported fittings which are crap. Passable flow flex stuff slightly more expensive.Then the rolls Royce is conex/cuprifit but really too expensive unless you can find a good cheap source.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back