1/2 bsp taper or parallel ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a couple of Flomasta radiators from SF and cannot decide if the tail spouts are taper or parallel. Specification states 1/2 bsp.

If anyone has fitted these radiators, what type of tails did you use ........ parallel with o ring seals or tapered with ptfe tape?

full

Sponsored Links
Always use a sealing medium on the tail threads, whatever that may be - tape/cord/thread/hemp/paste etc.

All valve tails should fit that tapping. Whether it has an O-ring or not is kinda immaterial to the thread type. Example being most if not all tails will fit with some type of thread seal but the blank/bleed caps all have O-Rings, both are suitable/usable.

The tails from the old radiators fit but have no shoulder for an o ring to check on to so looks lie its a ptfe job. Is it advisable to coat the ptfe wrapping with Fernox jointing compound?

1. Most (but not absolutely all) female threads are parallel. It's generally much easier to make a tapered male thread than a tapered female one.
2. I've never found it necessary to use jointing compound as well as PTFE.
3. Clean both female and male threads, then fit together without any tape, compound or whatever. If the fit is quite tight, start with 12 wraps of PTFE and try. Should require a spanner and a bit of heft to get the tail in without reaching the end of the threads. If the fit is looser, start at 15 wraps. If very loose, start at 20. If you can't achieve a tight fit, remove, strip off all the PTFE, wrap with 5 more than previous attempt and try again. 4. There are other options:
4.1 Loctite 55 sealing cord. Pretty much the same principle as PTFE but gently rough up the male threads first and wrap as directed on the packet. That is some along the threads, some across.
4.2 Pipe sealing compound (Flomasta or Loctite). Very good, but requires both male and female threads to be completely clean, and particularly free of grease. Apply a bead right round the 2nd and 3rd threads of the male thread, screw in. Wait a minute of two for it to go solid. Fit to be used after about 30 minutes.

Sponsored Links
I use Gas PTFE - 7 complete turns works every time, at least one of the wraps just over the edge of the thread start. No need for anything else.

Job done!

I used 15 wraps of ptfe on the tails and no leaks.

Thanks All for comments posted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back