moving radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,
i took down a wall separating the wc from the bathroom which had a rad on it. i'd like to relocate the rad to one of the other walls in the bathroom. once i know the location of the new rad i need to route new pipe to join to the existing pipes under the floorboards. if i cut off the old valves on the old rad to connect to these new pipes will the entire system drain out of the cut pipe? ive already drained and removed the old rad, just valves left in place.
hope that makes sense? any help greatly appreciated, dont want to flood the house!
thanks
p

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's upstairs then only the water that's upstairs will drain. Is there a drain cock on the system?

Is there a working filling loop on your boiler?

thanks for your answer ktuludays.
in answer to your question the drain cock is on a ground floor rad valve. the filling loop is present and works well.
got 3 other rads upstairs so better get a bigger bucket. would you drain the upstairs rads individually first (bit easier?) then cut the pipe needed?

Sponsored Links
thanks for your answer ktuludays.
in answer to your question the drain cock is on a ground floor rad valve. the filling loop is present and works well.
got 3 other rads upstairs so better get a bigger bucket. would you drain the upstairs rads individually first (bit easier?) then cut the pipe needed?

I would drain the system down fully if a drain cock is present. That way you know you're not going to have any issues when you cut the pipe. Make sure all your new connections are good before refilling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back