moving soil pipe in bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - need some advice....I need to move a bathroom to a different location in a bungalow with a solid floor. The hot/cold can go up through the roof void and down stud walls but I can't decide what to do about the soil pipe.

Option 1: Break/dig a trench in the floor approx 4m long and connect to pipe used by existing WC. Hard work and I am concerned about re-instating the dpc membrane....would this be a problem? I can't see how it would be possible to join it or overlap in a trench.

Option 2: Connect to an underground pipe at the front of the property and run 8m around the front/side of the house....more digging but might be less work overall as the pipe can go through the wall above ground level.

Advice please.....

Sponsored Links
Although a longer run externally,it would be a far better option than trying to do it internally. You would never be sure the dpm was properly sealed, and the dust/mess would be considerable.
If memory serves me correctly, you may have to put a vent pipe in if the branch to the drain is >5m long.

Make sure you can get an adequate fall over the distance. Rule of thumb is 1:40 or 25mm per m, although may get away with slightly less.

Chamber needed at any change of direction in the drain.

Although a longer run externally,it would be a far better option than trying to do it internally. You would never be sure the dpm was properly sealed, and the dust/mess would be considerable.
If memory serves me correctly, you may have to put a vent pipe in if the branch to the drain is >5m long.

thanks.....not too worried about the mess, but could do without future probs with damp.....! Awaiting visit from building control.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you can get an adequate fall over the distance. Rule of thumb is 1:40 or 25mm per m, although may get away with slightly less.

Chamber needed at any change of direction in the drain.

It would have to go round a 90 deg corner so would I need a proper manhole or just a chamber for rodding etc?

Fall is ok.....20cm over 8m which I can get fairly easily.

Outside run - hands down.

Inspection chamber fitted at change of direction and fit another outside the proposed bathroom.

Build a stack and connect the loo into it, then into the new IC. This will need venting 900mm above any openable window within reach. Stick a balloon grate in the top.

At the same time fit a gully to collect the bath/basin/shower waste or boss into the stack if convenient.Again connect into one of the inlets on the new IC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back