Moving Soil Pipe - what to do in the attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm wanting to move the soil stack about 1ft to the right of it's current position.

It's cast iron.
Having read about cutting etc it all seems straight forward (not in a hung ho way of course)

I'm wondering about connecting it back up in the attic.
At the moment the soil stack goes out through the roof.

If I cut it off in the attic and redirect using PVC pipe can I just reconnect in the attic?
My concern is the weight of the remainder cast iron on the roof connecting back into the PVC.

If I didn't connect back into it and used an AAV can I just cap off the remainder cast iron stick through the roof or is this just inviting a leak?

The picture isn't quite to scale :) The blue circle is the current soil pipe. The red is where I would like it to go allowing me to push the toilet back against the wall.

I can take pictures if this would make it easier.

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
John.

Sponsored Links
The issue is partly cost and accessibility.

I don't have access out onto the roof to do this myself and don't really have the funds to have a plumber/roofer run it out and replace the roof flashing/soil tile.

cheers,
John.

I would reconnect in the attic, avoids any possibility of a leak and any pressure problems caused by removing the open vent. If you cant replace the top section with plastic, then I would look at manufacturing a cradle in the attic to support the remaining iron. You really dont want that falling through the ceiling, especially if someone was using room below at the time..... :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Hugh Jaleak,

I'll photograph the attic part and post it just to make sure folk know what I'm talking about.

Just wasn't sure if rejoining in the attic was something that people actually do...

Cheers,
John.

Perhaps some advice of how to cut that cast iron pipe would be of some use. Personally I think it's going to be a struggle and it'd be worth trying to get a bit of cash together to get someone up their to install a tile. :confused:

Cutting metal soil pipes needs to be done with an angle grinder and a good quality metal cutting blade, support the pipe while cutting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back