Moving staircase back 12" - building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am remodelling an upstairs bathroom and plan to move a stud wall out by 12". Obviously this will bring it closer to the top of the staircase. I am planning on replacing the handrail and spindles etc. but spotted a complete replacement staircase on Screwfix.

My question is - can you move the lot back by 12" legally (not falling foul of building control)? I know the newel posts etc will have to be replaced/moved and the joists in the landing floor extended etc.

I think of myself as a competent diyer so I should be fit to handle the job (the wife might not agree) :rolleyes: . Just a bit unsure of the technical side of it with regs etc.

Any advice would be very welcome!!!

Thank you

Sponsored Links
you will need to maintain 2m headroom from stair tread peak to stair ceiling. spindles should be no wider than 100mm at their widest point.

stairs are very heavy!

Thanks for the quick reply noseall

Do you have to get building control to inspect/report when doing the work?

Are there any difficult issues with fitting the stairs to the side wall (how are they fixed - anchor bolts etc.) or to the joists. I'm assuming there will be work involved with tidying up the plasterwork and floors again afterwards, but the actual relocation should be relatively straighforward - I hope :LOL: .

Thanks again

try and mimic the fixing of the existing stairs or even improve upon it and you should be ok. ;)

Sponsored Links
Again, thanks noseall.

I checked the height from the riser peak to the sloping stair ceiling, might be an issue. Then again I might try to work around it, raise it slightly. It may end up more hassle than it's worth.

At least I have until the easter week to measure up and decide. :confused:

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back