Staircase Renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm hoping to renovate the staircase in my flat and have some questions that I was hoping you could help me with.

This is the current staircase

This is what I am hoping to achieve, or at least something that closely resembles it
Screen+Shot+2020-11-28+at+10.43.58+PM.png

GalerieProvenance_SKJ_37.JPG

I don't want to break the bank and was hoping to work with my existing staircase. I would want to replace the handrail and the spindles. The entire existing structure would be painted white, except for the black metal spindles and the treads and the handrail, which would be stained to a darker wood stain.

Questions:
  1. Do you reckon that my plan is feasible / possible?
  2. Any advice or ideas on how I can make it as cost effective as possible?
  3. Any idea where I can source the spindles and the handrails? The spindles should be easy but the handrails that I am finding online are all a lot chunkier and I wanted to find something sleek, like the handrail in the image
  4. Any recommendation for a builder who can execute this project? I am based in London (E14)
  5. Do you reckon I would be able to get rid of the newels on my staircase so that it looks like the desired staircase?
Sorry for all the questions, but I want to gauge what is possible and how much I should be looking to spend. Note that I won't be able to afford a brand new staircase, which is why I want to work with the existing one to keep the costs down.

Thanks,
Ducky

Sponsored Links
It’s feasible but you would need to obtain quotes as any estimate online could be very misleading.

Feasible, but WHY???
It's a beautiful wooden staircase and you wanna cover it with some white muck that will be dirty the day after you finish.
I've walked away from such customers requests and if i was still working I would still walk away.
Rejuvenate the wood and restore it to its former glory.
It's easy enough for a keen diyer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back