Moving stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are hoping to enlarge the kitchen. Plan is to remove the current stud wall and build another about 2m into the living room. Had a structural eng out to confirm that the existing wall wasn't supporting anything.

Where the new stud is to go tho it'll need to run parallel to the floor joists. There's a slight bit of movement in the floor if you bounce on it, he suggested double joisting it. It's a bungalow also so no problem adding extra noggins up top.

Is it really necessary to double joist the floor ? Was hoping to build it myself as it's just a wall no doors etc. Will it cause problems, cracking plaster on the ceiling if it's pulling on there or along the edges ? Or am I worrying too much ?!

Cheers !
Mark

Sponsored Links
I'd run noggings between the 2 joists the wall will sit on.

Well the SE knows the permissible deflections and has been on site, so he will be giving a better opinion than anyone here. No one else knows how much is a bit of bounce. But if you're not worried about movement or can hang the wall from above with a movement joint below, maybe the wall will stay put! But is it that hard to pull up the floor boards?

Sponsored Links
If you fix it properly to the floor and ceiling, it will act to reduce the bounce of the floor, rather than pull the ceiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back