moving switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help me?

I've just bought a house which has a front living room and a rear living room, there is a light in each which is controlled from one 2 rocker switch in the hallway.

I want to separate the switch into two 1 rocker switches in each room, so the switch in a room controls that rooms light only....

when i've looked inside the existing switch casing there are only 3 wires (all black) and one black wire which links to both common points.

Can anyone give me any advise that is simple to understand and not the equivalent to a rocket science degree????

Thank you.. Mark

Sponsored Links
Roughly speaking the wire that goes to two terminals has to be split, one wire to each of the two new switches. The other two wires go direct to the other sides of the new switches. That's the simple stuff but --

You don't mention any earths in that switch. That doesn't sound right for a start. And three black wires? That's not standard on the new colour codes or the old ones. It all smells of bodge job. If you're new to wiring that's not a good place to start.

Thanks,

i have at the moment two switches on top of one another, one 2 rocker, controls the hall and landing this one has an earth in it.

and looking at it, looks as tho a black wire is in the (left hand facing, looking at the switch side) common point and running to the switch above.

I've had a look and I have 6 wires running from the two switches up the wall and under the upstairs floorboards.

two of the wires are single black wire in grey plastic coating.

....This is a bit of a nightmare it looks like spaggetti junction.

Let me guess. The two single black wires in grey sheaths are coming from the switch you want to split and move. Correct?

It looks like somebody has cobbled that switch in by pinching a live feed from the existing hall/landing switch. This would have been alright - if somewhat unconventional - if they'd brought the earth in too.

I wouldn't bother extending wires from that switch. Follow the single black wires up to the light fittings and see what you've got in there. At the very least you'll find a neutral wire at each light and, hopefully, an earth too. If you find a live supply at each fitting, remove the single black wires and run twin and earth to your new switches.

If, as is more likely, there are no live supplies at the lights, follow the neutrals. They must go somewhere. At some point there should be a junction box of some sort with live, neutral and earth in it. Wire your lights and their new switches back to that, adding extra boxes if need be to accommodate all the wires.

Sponsored Links
Remember, of course (as is plainly demonstrated by your switch wiring) black isn't always neutral in lighting circuits....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back