Moving/terminating power socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In the next few days I'm having a stud wall put up over an existing brick wall to hide some unsightly copper pipes. On this wall I have a double socket and a transformer (powered straight off the mains via a fused connection unit) to power a doorbell.

What I actually want to and need to do is:
a) move the socket a few feet down the wall (horizontally)
b) cap off the feed to the door bell (which is halfway up the wall)

For a) is it allowed to change the double socket for a direct replacement junction box. I know this would mean that it's covered by the the plasterboards of the new stud wall, so can I put a blanking plate over a hole cut into the plasterboard so I've still got access to the junction box. Surely this means that it's still accessible?

For b) seeing as the cable is no longer needed can I turn the connection off at the fused connection unit that feeds the door bell and then terminate the cable going into the transformer using a junction box? This will then effectively be covered by the plasterboard making it inaccessible but it won't be drawing any power and will be terminated. Is this "acceptable"?

The room has a solid floor and I can't get access from above as there are built-in wardrobes on the floor above.

Any advice will be great.

Cheers,
Paul.

Sponsored Links
how far will this stud work put the new wall surface from the original wall surface?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back