Moving the Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

The previous owners built a wooden garage but as you can see by the pictures its to far over to the right , there is no way you can get a car in it due to the steps.

i have been told i wont be able to move it to the boundary because it is made out of wood, basically been told that any building made from combustible materials needs to be 1mt away from the boundary, does this mean the boundary of a building or as in my case the garden boundary ??

what i was wanting to do is move the garage as far over to the (edit oops ment left) as i can and maybe remove the bottom step and make a new removable step out of wood faced with decking , this way i will be able to use the garage to put the car in it.

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00287.jpg

am i wasting my time lol

cheers

Kev

Sponsored Links
i have been told i wont be able to move it to the boundary because it is made out of wood, basically been told that any building made from combustible materials needs to be 1mt away from the boundary, does this mean the boundary of a building or as in my case the garden boundary ??
Just a thought, you can use pre-cast slab garage on the boundary as I did with my summerhouse against the fence and used timber everywhere else. Failing that relocate the door?

i have been told i wont be able to move it to the boundary

Who told you this? I hope it was not anyone on here :rolleyes:

If the above was true, what about the shed next to it?

A building with an internal floor area not exceeding 15 m2 is exempt from b/regs.

In your case, if over 15m2, then the regulation about non-combustible materials would be relaxed, as the garage is too far up the garden to cause a problem across the boundary if it caught fire.

Just move it

no wasn't anyone on here, this is the first time iv looked into seeing it what iv been told is bull.

iv been told by a few people (not in the trade) that it has to 1 meter away from the boundary.

i haven't asked building control or planning yet as i thought i would ask here first.

so basically is it against regulations for me to move it right to the boundary if i wanted?? im in Scotland if that makes a difference.

the neighbour that has the shed is a right old battle axe and if i was to go ahead she would definitely complain, she complained just 3 days after moving in because we had dumped loads of cardboard down the side of our garage on our land, this was because she wanted to paint her shed, and she wasnt even going to ask if it was ok to come over to our side to do so , this is why i want to stay the right side of the regulations.

if i can then woo hoo

Kev

Sponsored Links
yes it should be 1m away because its flammable
not to do with buildings its to protect your neighbours boundery

look up the planning exemptions ;)

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315233153.html

"Building Regulations
If you want to put up small detached buildings such as a garden shed or summerhouse in your garden, building regulations will not normally apply if the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres.

If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.

In both cases, building regulations do not apply ONLY if the building does not contain any sleeping accommodation."

never used to be if less than 15sq m was always must be 1m away ect ect :D

but i would check if i where you :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back