Roof shape for garage extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on what is possible when consrtucting roofs.

I'm extending the house but the main problem I have is the left boundary is tapered (garden gets smaller towards the back).

Plan is to knock down existing garage, build new garage that is wider, add utility room to back of garage (narrower due to boundary). Then plan to have extra bedroom above garage and toilet/shower room above utility room.

So, it is easier to just step the utility room to make it narrower, or is it just as easy to taper it. What would be the best option for the roof (extra valley or a roof that tapers near the back).

I have drawings if this is unclear.

Reason for all this is that my council (Erewash in Derbyshire) have rejected original plans due to insufficient car space. They now say that a proposed 4 bed house needs 3 car spaces, even though the existing garage is too small to get a car in anyway.[/img]

Sponsored Links
until you build a tapered structure, it's not easy to describe just how difficult it is to construct and how many problems it throws up.

if it was me, even though you waste a little space, i would go for a staggered build every time.

Square box = easy cheap and fast
Tapered = expensive and slow

Basically only go for the more complex if you have cash to burn or you have no other choice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back