Moving wall sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if there is a qualified electrician who can help with the following.

Rather foolishly, we finished decorating a room and laying new wooden floor, before deciding we wanted to replace the older skirting with a deeper one - consequently we want to raise 3 wall sockets to accommodate this.

There is enough slack on the cable to one socket to raise it as necessary, but the other two are too tight. Is it permissible to join/extend wires inside the gang box, either using terminal block, crimping, or by some other means?

Obviously whatever we do will need to be inspected and we want to be fully compliant with current regulations.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Norman T

Sponsored Links
Yes it is permissible to join cables, I would reccommend crimp connections and you should only use ratchet crimping tools ( not car tools) then heat shrink sleeve over for protection.

Yes it is permissible to join cables, I would reccommend crimp connections and you should only use ratchet crimping tools ( not car tools) then heat shrink sleeve over for protection.

Many thanks for that - I assume that's the simplest way to proceed then.

Sponsored Links
Note however that the grey sheath must still enter the box!

If the cables won't move in the capping, then take the plaster off under the skirting and take capping off and see if you can then get enough slack

No idea how you ae going to do the job without messing up the decor though, granted if you are careful you can chop a box in without damage, but how are you going to cables to it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back