Mower or Strimmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I hope someone can advise.
I have a garden with lawn interspersed with flower beds and paths. The total lawn area is probably 80-100m2.

I initially bought a strimmer to try to get it back to turf, and although that worked OK the strimmer was a nightmare, the line kept breaking and not "auto" extending like it should have, so it took hours. I don't need a perfect lawn, just something under control.

The lawn itself is full of protruding what I believe are saplings from a plum tree as it has been wholly uncared for during the last few years. So not smooth at all. Also, it's a steeply sloping garden, on several levels. And the levels aren't level if that makes sense.

I am tempted to go for a strimmer with plastic blades as I won't use the one with line any more. My alternative is a hover mower with metal blades. Any ideas which to go for, and if so any models that would suit me?

many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think that any mower - either hover or rotary - is going to have a hard time of it, if there's any tendency at all for the blade to catch those saplings.....no doubt many would disagree but I'd go for a quality strimmer such as a petrol Stihl or Husqvarna which has the automatic 'bump' feed - you often see these at work on motorway embankments etc where mowers couldn't go.
The bump feed systems on these machines are reliable, and easy to restring - no tools needed at all.
John :)

A good powerful strimmer will take thicker line (up to 4mm) which will last much longer, can even be used on big patches of brambles/dock/nettles etc. Works out very cheap if you buy it on a big reel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back