MPs criticise expenses watchdog.... what a surprise!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well well well, it didn't take long did it? MPs whining about their expenses! And another shock.... Millionaire Cameron agrees with them stating that he, "recognised that (Ipsa) has caused a lot of pain and difficulty", (oh what a shame for them!), and criticised the new arrangements. "It is anti-family and it is not acceptable," said the millionaire. Millionaire Cameron also warned that the Ipsa must 'improve' by April or he would 'force changes'. Moans and groans about this 'anti-family' committee include MPs saying they're not being allowed to use public funds to transport their children to and from their constituency! Errrm, and why is that a problem? Indeed why was that EVER allowed? How many of the population of this country (that work away from home), have EVER had their employer pay for their children to be transported to where they were working and back home again? I doubt ANYONE has had such a luxury bestowed upon them by their employer. Yet for some reason MPs believe this is their God given right! And of course Millionaire Cameron agrees! So it looks like it's back to normal for MPs sooner than I thought following the expenses scams. BUT.... 'we' can have our say too... >here< whether the committee will be allowed to listen and/or act upon our suggestions is another thing!

Senior MPs have criticised Parliament's expenses watchdog as it launched a public consultation to help determine what should be valid claims.

Conservative Roger Gale said Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) chairman Sir Ian Kennedy should consider resigning and Liberal Democrat Bob Russell said that the organisation was the worst he had dealt with in 40 years in public life.

Sir Ian insisted his organisation was set "for the long haul" and said the question of resigning had never occurred to him. He said some MPs were finding it difficult to adjust to independent regulation of their financial affairs.

Mr Gale, MP for North Thanet, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "What we have put in place does not work and those responsible have got to be replaced. I'm saying both the chairman of Ipsa and the interim chief executive are going to have to consider their positions."

Colchester MP Mr Russell told the programme: "I think, in its present form, it (Ipsa) should be scrapped because it's not fit for purpose. It's the worst organisation I have had to deal with in 40 years in public life."

Senior Labour backbencher David Winnick added: "The patience of Members of Parliament has reached such a state that inevitably there will be changes."

But Sir Ian insisted his organisation would not consider fundamental changes: "Absolutely not. Ipsa is doing the job Parliament asked it to do. We are here for the long haul. There's not an immediate quick fix that's possible."

Asked on Today if he was going to quit, Sir Ian said: "The question has never occurred to me until you asked it. Some MPs find it difficult to come to terms with the notion of independent regulation - that's the process of getting used to a new world."

Complaints about the bureaucracy of the new rules on expenses have been voiced by MPs from all parties, including Tory backbenchers who raised the issue with premier David Cameron at a meeting of the 1922 Committee last month. Gripes reportedly included MPs not being able to use expenses to transport their children to and from their constituency.

The PM told them he "recognised that (Ipsa) has caused a lot of pain and difficulty", and criticised the new arrangements. "It is anti-family and it is not acceptable," he said. Mr Cameron warned that Ipsa must improve by April or he would force changes.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20110105/tuk-mps-criticise-expenses-watchdog-6323e80.html

Sponsored Links
Just to emphasise the point, we (the general public), are being asked for our views on the rules governing MPs expenses and who should be responsible for setting the rules in future. The Committee on Standards in Public Life is also looking for our views on how the rules should be monitored and enforced.

I would encourage everyone here to express their views. The link to information is >here<

If there's a problem with that link then the info from there is as follows:

MPs' expenses - have your say.

An inquiry has been launched into MPs' expenses. Have your say on the rules governing MPs expenses, who should be responsible for setting the rules in future and how the rules should be enforced.

MPs' Expenses inquiry

MPs are currently able to spend and/or claim back money spent on items such as:

* support staff
* constituency offices
* additional accommodation if they are required to work away from home
* travel

In recent months there has been a lot of criticism of the way in which MPs have used these allowances.

The aim of the Committee on Standards in Public Life’s inquiry into MPs’ expenses is to create a new set of rules which are trusted by the public, and which give MPs the support they need to do their jobs.
Have your say

The inquiry is looking for views on the rules governing MPs expenses and who should be responsible for setting the rules in future. It is also looking for views on how the rules should be monitored and enforced.

For more details about the Committee's inquiry, including how to submit evidence or make your views known, download a copy of the Issues and Questions paper by following the link below.

You can also contact the Committee on Standards in Public Life by phone on (0)20 7276 2595, or write to them at:

The Committee on Standards in Public Life
35 Great Smith Street
London
SW1P 3BQ

http://www.public-standards.gov.uk/

Well well well, it didn't take long did it? MPs whining about their expenses! And another shock.... Millionaire Cameron agrees with them stating that he, "recognised that (Ipsa) has caused a lot of pain and difficulty", (oh what a shame for them!), and criticised the new arrangements. "It is anti-family and it is not acceptable," said the millionaire. Millionaire Cameron also warned that the Ipsa must 'improve' by April or he would 'force changes'. Moans and groans about this 'anti-family' committee include MPs saying they're not being allowed to use public funds to transport their children to and from their constituency! Errrm, and why is that a problem? Indeed why was that EVER allowed? How many of the population of this country (that work away from home), have EVER had their employer pay for their children to be transported to where they were working and back home again? I doubt ANYONE has had such a luxury bestowed upon them by their employer. Yet for some reason MPs believe this is their God given right! And of course Millionaire Cameron agrees! So it looks like it's back to normal for MPs sooner than I thought following the expenses scams. BUT.... 'we' can have our say too... >here< whether the committee will be allowed to listen and/or act upon our suggestions is another thing!

Senior MPs have criticised Parliament's expenses watchdog as it launched a public consultation to help determine what should be valid claims.

Conservative Roger Gale said Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) chairman Sir Ian Kennedy should consider resigning and Liberal Democrat Bob Russell said that the organisation was the worst he had dealt with in 40 years in public life.

Sir Ian insisted his organisation was set "for the long haul" and said the question of resigning had never occurred to him. He said some MPs were finding it difficult to adjust to independent regulation of their financial affairs.

Mr Gale, MP for North Thanet, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "What we have put in place does not work and those responsible have got to be replaced. I'm saying both the chairman of Ipsa and the interim chief executive are going to have to consider their positions."

Colchester MP Mr Russell told the programme: "I think, in its present form, it (Ipsa) should be scrapped because it's not fit for purpose. It's the worst organisation I have had to deal with in 40 years in public life."

Senior Labour backbencher David Winnick added: "The patience of Members of Parliament has reached such a state that inevitably there will be changes."

But Sir Ian insisted his organisation would not consider fundamental changes: "Absolutely not. Ipsa is doing the job Parliament asked it to do. We are here for the long haul. There's not an immediate quick fix that's possible."

Asked on Today if he was going to quit, Sir Ian said: "The question has never occurred to me until you asked it. Some MPs find it difficult to come to terms with the notion of independent regulation - that's the process of getting used to a new world."

Complaints about the bureaucracy of the new rules on expenses have been voiced by MPs from all parties, including Tory backbenchers who raised the issue with premier David Cameron at a meeting of the 1922 Committee last month. Gripes reportedly included MPs not being able to use expenses to transport their children to and from their constituency.

The PM told them he "recognised that (Ipsa) has caused a lot of pain and difficulty", and criticised the new arrangements. "It is anti-family and it is not acceptable," he said. Mr Cameron warned that Ipsa must improve by April or he would force changes.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20110105/tuk-mps-criticise-expenses-watchdog-6323e80.html[/QUOTE]

another one crying in the blair / brown trough.... shame on you...

Sponsored Links
only an ignoramous.... suprised you could spell it... shame you do not know the meaning......

Yes, yes and yes again. I can spell it. It's I & T in capitals. i & t in ickle letters. Oh, but hang on......... ;)

Mr. W.

After pulling someone on their spelling, I'm surprised you misspelt surprised. :D

I tried to put it in a subtle way Stivino. Its gets annoyed when challenged. :D

Mr. W.

I tried to put it in a subtle way Stivino. Its gets annoyed when challenged. :D

Mr. W.

but i will not pull you on your misspelling..... its...... and grammar.....

well done... t**t

Oh thank you kind sir. You may hit the 'thanks' button now.

As for the t**t, I'll be you tart, gimp, significant other whenever you want dukkie. Please geraint, there is no need to hide your affection for me, even if you think I'm promiscuous.

Mr. W.

what an absolute waste of space you are... but happy days to you..

enjoy life but you cannot do that..

shame..

Sponsored Links
Back