And it was going 'oh so well...'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Clegg's position in the poles seems as permanent as a tarts knickers... up one minute, down the next! That's the problem with being 'popular', the media start looking at you very closely!

I think it's time Mr Clegg nicked off (pun intended), to somewhere else in Europe if he thinks we're so full of ourselves!

Clegg in Nazi slur on UK: 'Our delusions of grandeur' at winning war are greater cross to bear than German guilt.

* Churchill's family say Clegg's views are insult to war dead
* Donations were paid into Clegg's personal bank account
* Secret Lib Dem pact to make their MPs maximise expenses
* Cameron: 'I am what I am, the people will decide'
* Polls start to turn against Lib Dems ahead of second debate

Nick Clegg has claimed that the British people have ‘a more insidious cross to bear’ than Germany over the Second World War.... the Liberal Democrat leader said we suffered from ‘delusions of grandeur’ and a ‘misplaced sense of superiority’ over having defeated the horrors of Nazism. He said we found it hard to accept that Germany had become a ‘vastly more prosperous nation’ and that ‘we need to be put back in our place’.

The passionately pro-Europe Mr Clegg revealed his views in an article for the Guardian newspaper in 2002.

‘Watching Germany rise from its knees after the war and become a vastly more prosperous nation has not been easy on the febrile British psyche,’ Mr Clegg wrote, before attacking Britain’s approach to the war.

‘All nations have a cross to bear, and none more so than Germany with its memories of Nazism. But the British cross is more insidious still.

‘A misplaced sense of superiority, sustained by delusions of grandeur and a tenacious obsession with the last war, is much harder to shake off. We need to be put back in our place.’

Tory MP Nicholas Soames, grandson of wartime leader Sir Winston Churchill, said: ‘These views will disgust people the length and breadth of the country. They show that Nick Clegg is unfit to lead his party, let alone the country.

‘They are an insult to the memory of Britain’s war dead and to a time when the British public all pulled together for the common good. They prove that Mr Clegg shares the European view of Britain rather than the British view.’

Mr Clegg, who has a Spanish wife, a Dutch mother and a Russian grandparent, began his career as a Brussels bureaucrat and moved to Westminster after a spell as a Euro MP.

Ironically, his mother was interned by the Japanese during the war.

His outburst about the Second World War was not an isolated incident. In another article from June 2003, Mr Clegg continued to denounce ‘Britain’s culture of superiority’.

Making clear his love affair with all things European, he condemned the British ‘belief in our innate difference from our mainland continental cousins’.

He went on: ‘No other culture in Europe is quite so enamoured by such a false notion of difference.

'We Brits concoct a historically illiterate notion that we are divorced from outside influences. Maybe it was loss of empire, the choppy waters of the Channel, or the last war.’

Those with recent experience of fighting for their country condemned his views.

Colonel Tim Collins, commander of the Royal Irish Regiment during the Iraq War, said: ‘What he’s articulating is the Liberal Democrat view of the British people.

‘They are ashamed of them. They are ashamed of British identity and pandering to those who don’t share it.’

Mr Clegg’s spokesman said: ‘Mail readers who see the article in full will realise that it was written in the context of an incident of anti-German prejudice. He remains against prejudice in any form.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ele...azi-slur-Britain.html?ITO=1708&referrer=yahoo

Sponsored Links
Having the wrath of the mail on you is no bad thing, nor is being pilloried by nicholas "fatter than jack mc fat" soames. Everyone has said things which can be taken out of context.

For example, one or two of the things written by yours truly on here could, if read in a particularly deviant way, possibly be used against me when I make my bid to become Pope Dextrous I.

Sponsored Links
What do you expect from the Tory press? Smart people will see it for what it is and vote Lib Dem.

So Dex, Clegg was correct in what analysis?
Just because we have a sense of Britishness doesn't make us bad does it?
Take the French for example. They go on strike at the drop of a hat, block imports of British beef, lamb , pork etc. Encourage illegal immigrants to make their way to the UK by whatever means and claim to be at the heart of everything European, yet won't play by the rules they themselves helped set.
We complain about this and are accused of being insular.
TBH there's no such thing as the EU now, it's Germany and France who put their own self first and the rest of Europe second. Europe is fast becoming a farce in the eyes of the rest of the world.

"Mr Clegg’s spokesman said: ‘Mail readers who see the article in full will realise that it was written in the context of an incident of anti-German prejudice. He remains against prejudice in any form.""

How true. Then why call your own people Mr Clegg?

"‘All nations have a cross to bear, and none more so than Germany with its memories of Nazism. But the British cross is more insidious still.

‘A misplaced sense of superiority, sustained by delusions of grandeur and a tenacious obsession with the last war, is much harder to shake off. We need to be put back in our place""

Your words Clegg.

Britain is a little backwater country that has no influence in the world. It's all delusion. We are bust playing games with the big boys like we are important. We aren't.

Which party is gonna bring the boiler scrappage scheme back in?

David.

So Dex, Clegg was correct in what analysis?
This one
Watching Germany rise from its knees after the war and become a vastly more prosperous nation has not been easy on the febrile British psyche,’ Mr Clegg wrote
So what gives Clegg the right to state that I have:

1. A 'Febrile' Psyche?
and
2. That Germany's prosperity has not been 'easy' on my psyche?

Does Mr Clegg know me? Does he have some amazing insight into the whole of the British Psyche?

Yes words can be taken out of context but those statements are inflammatory whatever the context. You cannot go around stating that your country has a 'febrile psyche'. How can ANYONE claim to know what a whole nation thinks? It's rather ridiculous. If that's his 'belief' that's fine. He's entitled to his beliefs however misguided they may be.

He made those comments when he was a Euro MP. Forgive my suspicious mind but I suspect he made them to gain favour with his Euro MP chums. Whether he really believes it or not is really rather irrelevant now... other than the fact that his words have come back to haunt him.

Silly little boy! He's a joke.

However, I find the following comments (I care not of the context), unsettling and really rather offensive.

‘All nations have a cross to bear, and none more so than Germany with its memories of Nazism. But the British cross is more insidious still.

‘A misplaced sense of superiority, sustained by delusions of grandeur and a tenacious obsession with the last war, is much harder to shake off. We need to be put back in our place.’

And WTF does that last comment mean? 'Put back in our place'?!?!?!?! Where does he believe 'OUR PLACE' is? Jumped up little sh*t!

Sponsored Links
Back