MR16 halogen to LED

Sponsored Links
update:

bought a box of 10 PHILIPS MASTER LED MAS LEDspotLV D 7-35W MR16 WW 24D and it does not work.... :cry:

it only on for half of second then it went off again.

I think I need to sell those and go to the GU10 route.

Why are you so surprised?

On 14th May I posted:

"The drivers you have got now won't work.

LED drivers will.

Toroidal transformers will.

240 volt LEDs will".

update:

bought a box of 10 PHILIPS MASTER LED MAS LEDspotLV D 7-35W MR16 WW 24D and it does not work.... :cry:

On 14th May I posted:

LED drivers will.

240 volt LEDs will".

I though Philips said that their LED will work with existing transformers. I could be wrong.

I just not sure if i want to try the 10W ones now. :cry:

update:

On 14th May I posted:

LED drivers will.

240 volt LEDs will".

I though Philips said that their LED will work with existing transformers. I could be wrong.

It was also established you don't have transformers, you have switch mode lamp drivers, so don't waste more money or time trying 10W ones.

Either go 240v (best bet) or else change your lamp drivers to true transformers or LED drivers.

Sponsored Links
update:

On 14th May I posted:

LED drivers will.

240 volt LEDs will".

It was also established you don't have transformers, you have switch mode lamp drivers, so don't waste more money or time trying 10W ones.

Either go 240v (best bet) or else change your lamp drivers to true transformers or LED drivers.

just out of interest, i think each of the bulb i got attach with a 20w-50w transformer? what is switch mode lamp drivers?

Thanks

update:

On 14th May I posted:

LED drivers will.

240 volt LEDs will".

just out of interest, i think each of the bulb i got attach with a 20w-50w transformer? what is switch mode lamp drivers?

Thanks

A switch mode lamp driver is an electronic device which chops the mains at high frequency and then supplies this chopped supply to a lamp. Each of your bulbs is attached to a switch mode lamp driver not a transformer. As you have been repeatedly told and now discovered they won't work with LEDs. Manufacturers and people on this forum incorrectly call them electronic transformers.
A transformer is an electrical device which transfers energy between two circuits through electromagnetic induction.

FAO
Winston,
This is a serious site here,
In the last week or so on this site youve called them
drivers, smps, smpt, switch mode lamp drivers even led transformers, your constant babble, is not even consistent

FAO
Winston,

Then please refer to them what they are and they are definitely not transformers. Just because manufacturers salesmen don't know any better does not mean the professional people on this site need to repeat this nonsense.

Winston - I realise you think this is important but it isn't.

If that is what the manufacturer calls them, albeit preceded by 'electronic', then that IS what they are.

Have you ever bought a sausage in a roll?
If so, did you argue as vehemently with the vendor about its name?

If that is what the manufacturer calls them, albeit preceded by 'electronic', then that IS what they are.

Rubbish. The manufacturers salesmen are wrong. A transformer is a wound device that works by electromagnetic induction. The term electronic transformer is meaningless.

FAO
Winston,

Then please refer to them what they are and they are definitely not transformers. Just because manufacturers salesmen don't know any better does not mean the professional people on this site need to repeat this nonsense.

This is also a DIY site remember.

google gives over 15 million hits for lighting transformers and most are electronic.
Toroidals are rare these days and for a few years now are being phased out for lighting aplications, yet you advise fitting them.

Also being phased out are things like wire wound chokes and theres various other lighting products, that although may not be truly what there names imply, there recognised lighting terms ballast and LV being other terms.
They are recognised terms in the lighting industry, just like the word "Bulb" is even though most lamps are nowadays not a "Bulbous shape, which i beleive is how the word derived and most lamps are still measured in 1/8ths of an inch, which most people dont have a clue what that is nowadays
50 years in the trade you say, i dont beleive if you went to buy a 20-60 va unit to run a 50w halogen lamp you would ask for anything other than a transformer like most electricians would, and most major wholesalers would not have a clue what you want, using your terminoligy.

Toroidals are rare these days and for a few years now are being phased out for lighting aplications, yet you advise fitting them.
That may be true in the domestic market which is driven by low cost to market. In professional installs where long term reliability is the driving force then toroidal and E and I laminated transformers are still being used.

With E and I and separate bobbins for primary and secondary winding the chance of mains reaching the ELV output are virtually zero. Unlike an SMPS "transformer" where separation is "achieved" by a very small high frequency transformer, where the primary and secondary may be less than a milli-metre apart.

Not to mention the really nasty "SMPS items" which do not have any isolation at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back