MR16 to LED no driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...first timer, be gentle :D

We recently moved into our new house where the previous owners went spotlight crazy in every room .I hate the things but can't be bothered to get rid of them yet. Anyway...

All the bulbs were 50w halogen MR16. I want to change all bulbs to LED to save money. I read online that when doing this you need a driver. I also read a few people saying you don't. I gave it a go and changed bulbs in a couple of bedrooms. I didn't install a driver and just left whatever was already installed and they appear to be working fine. Now I've done this, I'm worrying about any potential problems.

Should I still remove any existing transformer from the previous halogens and put in an led driver or am I safe to leave them as they are?

Sponsored Links
To be certain, are you talking about 12V lamps with two straight pin connections? These?

upload_2018-12-15_1-31-43.png

They are GU5.3 connectors.

MR16 refers to the glass bit.
If only the manufacturers knew that, life would be so much easier.

Hiya,

I have a similar issue, my bathroom has an old halogen unit fitted with gu5.3 x 3 bulbs at 20w each, it was in there when we moved in 2004.

One bulb has now blown and i have pulled them all and fitted 3 x LAP 12V gu5.3 led bulbs, however i get a slight buzzing from the unit, after researching i think its the old transformer from within the unit.

My question is this safe?

Sponsored Links
My question is this safe?

That depends on how the " transformer " copes with supplying a much smaller load than it was designed for. It was designed to work into a 60 watt load. It may behave erratically with the much lower load of 3 LED lamps. An SMPS can become hot if it is behaving erratically.

That applies if the "transformer" is an SMPS. If it is a magnetic transformer then it will not have or create any problem with the reduced load.

Other than the argument going on above, does anyone have any advice?

Option 1
Change the Transformers to ones with a LOW minimum load usually 0 watts and carry on with the led lamp style you have, it is best to check with both makers that they are compatible with each other., they can be labelled Electronic Transformer or Constant Voltage driver.

Some makers will say there lamps will be fine with your existing Transformers, though usually unknown till there fitted.
Established makers test theirs with various transformer makes.

Option 2
change fitting to a 240 volt unit and fit led Gu10 lamps that look like your Mr16 lamps

Option 3
Buy fittings with sealed in lamp and drivers, this guarantees compatibility.

If your dimming then other issues are also to be considered

Personally i would just fit 20w or 35 watt halogen lamps

Thanks 333rocky333.

If the lights are currently working OK, am I safe to assume they can be left? Or should I double check to be in the safe side?

In my lounger we have 13 spotlights. Changed them all to dimmable leds (advertised by Philips as being replacements for halogen). They work 'ok' at a certain setting on the dimmer but then one or two start to flicker so I'm thinking in the lounge I'll have to check the existing transformer.

Can you post the part number of the Phillips lamp, they do claim to make some lamps that will work regardless of the transformer type, of which a majority are 20 watt minimum load.
I am assuming you have 1 transformer to each light.
Nearly all Transformers have built in safety, so if working will likely be ok, if they start flickering and playing up then you may have to take action, time will tell.
Assuming the lights were fitted at same time its likely all the transformers are the same, so may be worth safely checking the make and model of one.
The flicker could be lack of compatibility between dimmer and transformer even, that was not evident with the higher halogen loads.

I would expect it to be safe when the lights are running stable, the flickering if left though, may eventually cause damage to one of the 3 items.
A lot of Leds when dimmed too low will flicker, modern dimmers tend to have a user adjustable minimum set to prevent this.

Apologies for the above :rolleyes: and welcome to the forum

Should I still remove any existing transformer from the previous halogens and put in an led driver or am I safe to leave them as they are?

however i get a slight buzzing from the unit, after researching i think its the old transformer from within the unit.

Convert to GU10s, no transformer, driver or drivel required.
Much greater choice of LED lamps as well.

Remove existing transformer, connect existing mains wiring to one of these: https://www.toolstation.com/spare-lampholder/p34667 which will clip onto most existing fittings where the mounting springs are.

moderators note

some posts have been removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Convert to GU10s, no transformer, driver or drivel required.
Much greater choice of LED lamps as well.

Remove existing transformer, connect existing mains wiring to one of these: https://www.toolstation.com/spare-lampholder/p34667 which will clip onto most existing fittings where the mounting springs are.

moderators note

some posts have been removed

That is the plan, however i have managed to stop the buzzing by placing 1 x old 20w halogen back into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back