MS Office 2007 Disk To Laptop Without Optical Drive?

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old MS Office 2007 disk which I have in the past used to install on a PC with Win10 using the optical drive.

I now have a laptop without optical drive.

Other than buying an external optical drive to plug in, is there any way I can either copy this disk to a USB and transfer that way?

Or better still, use the Product Key to download it online?

Many Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
If you've got another computer with an optical drive then you might be able to install over a network. I've done that in the past.

The difficulty with installing with a different, downloaded, copy of office can be that slightly different versions have different keys so it can be a lot more trouble than it should be.

You would be better finding the installation online, AFAIK it will still be available somewhere

Try copying the entire contents of the MS Office CD to a clean, formatted USB drive (on another machine with an optical drive) and, on your laptop, run Setup from the USB stick.

Sponsored Links
You would be better finding the installation online, AFAIK it will still be available somewhere
I wouldn't download it online. Microsoft doesn't provide copies of old software online because they want you to upgrade. You could always look for a torrent, but there's about 95% chance the torrent will include malware.

The external usb cd/dvd read/writer is probably your best bet less than £20 on Amazon.

Failing that try this next ploy - I reckon I would try this - never have due to cheapness of cd/dvd kit.
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-load-microsoft-office-from-a-flash-drive
Essentially just copy the files from the CD to the flash drive.
Follow step 8 for the installation - fingers crossed.

As Astra99 suggested 2 posts previously.
-0-

Last edited:
I copied office onto a hard drive years ago and I am not even sure where the original disks are, never had a problem installing just plugged in external hard drive and clicked on install icon.

I recently downloaded Home Office 2016 from Microsoft web site. It was a .img file. When I clicked on it, I was presented with a virtual DVD drive.

You could try creating .iso or .img image of your installation disk and then transferring via USB stick. It is a good way of backing up your CD or DVD software, so they can be mounted on diskless laptops.

Sponsored Links
Back