muck coming from water outlets...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice/thoughts...

I have a 10-12 year old property and recently, black mucky gunge has started forming at all my domestic cold water outlets...if i run water from a tap - it will now dredge some of this muck through with it (the water itself is fine)...

It is forming in the toilet cistern, shower and had killed my previous washing machine (and is killing my new one)!

What could it be? We don't live in a hard-water area (Leeds), and its a relatively new street so wouldn't have thought old victorian pipes are rotting away? Is there anything i can do?

(I am waiting for the neighbours to get back as we speak so i can see if they are affected...i've just sort of put up with it so never asked....until now)!

The water board insist that no works have gone on anywhere near us for months)

Sponsored Links
Is the kitchen cold tap affected?
Do you have big a tank in the loft?

Hi, sorry for the late reply! Yes, all taps are affected, it's in the toilet cistern, washing machine...even the shower doesn't look good!

Sponsored Links
Do you have big a tank in the loft?
you didn't answer that one

Is the kitchen cold tap affected?
or that one. Do you have a cold tap, or is it a mixer?

If you swab the outside of the taps using kitchen spray with bleach, does it take the black off?

Do you recognise black mildew when you see it?

How often do you clean the soap drawer of your washing machine, and the slot it slides into?

What do you mean by killed your washing machine? The motor burnt out? The bearings wore away? The pump leaked?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back