Muddy lawn and aerators

L

longdogs

Hi all

Our lawn has never been great for drainage but in the last couple of days, having had soooo much rain, there is now a layer of water over the whole surface. That combined with some major tree work being done has resulted in a complete bog of a garden. The soil is clay and every time I have to walk on it, I make it a little bit worse.

I understand that the best way to deal with it is to make holes in the grass and fill with sand or grit so I was considering buying or hiring a lawn aerator.

I have never used one before so I'm not really sure if it will do the job easily or whether it will just sink in the mud and be impossible to move.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally I would leave it until the spring. Walking over it again, even with an aerator will just compress the mud even more and you won't achieve anything.

Thanks kbdiy, I was given the same advice by someone else today so that looks like the way to go

Sponsored Links
I bought a cheap aerator from eBay in the summer, it was abit if a pain to use, you have to keep down-wards pressure on it while pushing it forwards. Anyway used it a few days then spread a few hand fulls on sand around the garden, the sand is suppose to stop the clay sticking back together improving the drainage, it was made a difference, water no longer pools (not yet anyway) but it still not as good as id hoped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back