Multi fuel Flue Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I am putting in a log burner to cut down on fuel bills and need some advice.
(I will be getting it all checked out by local building inspector on completion, so will all be safe - and already bought co2 monitor)

I have opened up an old chimney and plany to line with flexi liner which will terminate in my attic as stack had been removed.

I will use a lead slate to bring through a rigid pipe and terminate this just below the roof (which will give about 500mm above the slate - the rain cap will be about 200mm about the roof ridge)

What I want to know is, will a 5" liner be ok (twin walled) or does it have to be 6" (Its a 5kw log burner)

Also, does the final length of rigid pipe have to be twin walled??? The flexi liner will be around 7 metres long, so was hoping to use 6" vitrous pipe through the slates as it looks less cumbersome than the twin walled pipe.

Hope I havent missed anything for someone to give me a nudge in the right direction!!

many thanks

Rhys9918

Sponsored Links
I am NOT HeATS, but we sell SF and have a HETAS guy fit them. So:

I am putting in a log burner to cut down on fuel bills and need some advice.

SF is expensive and labour intensive, so unless you have a reliable long tern source of fuel (and freee time), you wont always save anything. Woo must be seasoned 2 years, and oak should be kept OUTSIDE 1 year before that

(I will be getting it all checked out by local building inspector on completion, so will all be safe - and already bought co2 monitor)

you must inform LA BEFORE commencement

I will use a lead slate to bring through a rigid pipe and terminate this just below the roof (which will give about 500mm above the slate - the rain cap will be about 200mm about the roof ridge)

Beware, there are specific minimum clearances. These are two hand in my shop, so I havent bothered to memorise

What I want to know is, will a 5" liner be ok (twin walled) or does it have to be 6" (Its a 5kw log burner)

Some are. You must follow makers instructions, and they differ

Also, does the final length of rigid pipe have to be twin walled??? The flexi liner will be around 7 metres long, so was hoping to use 6" vitrous pipe through the slates as it looks less cumbersome than the twin walled pipe.

You CANNOT use flexi outside of a brick flue. I THINK you now have to use insulated twin wall, which is expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back