multi fuel stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks we are looking at ripping out our 1970 gas fire and replacing it with a 5kw multi fuel fire Although it is not compulsary to fit a flue,can a nybody give me good reasons to fit or not fit a flue,or is it just another moneymaker. finally can you mix the fuels. thanks. :confused:

Sponsored Links
It's not essential but could improve the efficiency of the burner. You'll need to get the chimney swept and checked. You'll also need to think about leaving a access point so you can get it swept in the future.

You can mix what you putting on i.e coal and wood but it's always best to check the manufacturers guidelines.

I assume you mean flue liner! you must have a flue to fit a stove :LOL: . In some instances you don’t need a liner, depending on construction & condition but with a 1970’s property, I would say you probably will. If you’ve a gas fire do you have gas liner already fitted? If so, it won’t be suitable & will have to come out. The correct flue liner provides a safe way of extracting potentially lethal gasses from the combustion process & when fitted & properly insulated, improves efficiency, helps keep the flue temperature up providing good draught & preventing corrosive condensation forming inside the chimney. You need to get the chimney & flue surveyed & assessed. Smokeless solid fuel & wood can be mixed on a suitable stove but not solid fuel & gas.

Installing a stove is also controlled building work which is governed by several Building Regulations & also requires compliance certification. You will need to use a registered HETAS installer or make a Building Notice submission to your LABC (fee involved) & have it inspected; my advice would be to do some research on which stove you want, buy your own stove & find/employ your own registered HETAS installer; using a stove store could cost you almost twice as much as it needs to.

dont forget if the maximum output is 5kw the average will be a lot less and iff you plan on burning softwood and dont wish to be continualy feeding it [less than twice an hour]your talking an average output of about 1.5 to 2 kw

Sponsored Links
Cheers gents thanks for the replys. I am looking at buying a aga little wenlock around the 500 mark online, i will be burning a mixture of soft and hard wood plus smokeless. As for the installation i will be leaving this to a hetas engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back