Fitting a multi-fuel fire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace my calor gas coal effect fire (££££££££££££££ to run for zero heat output) with a small multi fuel stove. Probably like this one.

http://www.clearviewstoves.com/pioneer400.htm

The problem I have (isn't there always a problem?) is that I want to retain my victorian style fireplace and what's more not have to take it out to fit the new stove.

After the existing fire has been removed by a competent person (before anybody asks) I was going to knock out the chair brick which would allow me to fit the stove back into the opening so as to give me the statutory 12" hearth allowance.

The opening is only just larger than the stove so I was going to go for a rear entry flue option and cement a piece of liner into the existing flue opening. I would fit that to the stove and push the whole lot back into position.

Anybody see any problems with this approach?

Sponsored Links
It would be better to get an inset stove if the space is tight, Clearview do one. We have a Clearview, very good (not inset), but a more efficient one is done by Euroheat (www.euroheat.co.uk).

Thanks for the info Oilman, especially the link to Euroheat. Much food for thought.

just a point.... if you want a lot of heat off it, have it standing outside the fireplace. If its set in the fireplace it will heat its self and the wall but not the room.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. You're right. It does depend what sort of stove you get - some have convector vents to throw the heat out of the front.

Having read all the info on installation, if I go ahead it will not be the ideal fit but having said that it's got to be better than what I've got at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back