Multi Fuel Stove and Combustible Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking into having a Dunsley Highlander 5 multi fuel stove installed in my living room. There is no fireplace so it will be free standing. The flue can go straight up and I've read if I use a Selkirk twin flue straight from the stove it can be 50mm from combustibles. For the floor I plan to use 50mm Caithness slate. My problem is the stove must be 800mm from combustibles and at the moment the wall is plasterboard onto wooden studs. Is there some way I can reduce the distance from the back of the stove to the wall by using appropriate material, such as tiles, on the wall? The stove can be 75mm away from non-combustibles.

Just a note, I won't be installing the stove myself, but thought rather than waste someones time I should find out if what I want to do is even possible. 80cm away from the wall would be a deal breaker really. It is going to be a couple of weeks before someone even has the time to come round to survey.

Sponsored Links
While I appreciate the plaster won't burn is there not the risk of the card type material that holds the plaster together burning and/or the heat being transferred through the plaster and burning the studs? The installation instructions state that beneath the stove gets up to 130C+. I've read on this site that gypsum plasterboard falls apart at about 50C. I assume I have gypsum, the house was built late 80's.

I've done further searching on this site and am not finding much info about whether tiles will do the job. Ideally we'd like to have the stove 200mm from the wall.

Could we replace the existing plasterboard with something suitable for 130C+ temperatures and then tile over that? Something like this?

http://shop.vitcas.com/vitcas-high-temperature-plasterboard-709-p.asp

Can anyone offer any advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back