Replace Plasterboard with fireboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but heres my question

I will be installing a Woodburning stove with a 600mm vitreous pipe connected to a twin wall flue into my living room in a corner.

Current building regs mean that the stove must be installed 3x the diameter of the vitreous flue pipe from combustible material. (stove maker recommends the first 600mm be a vitreous flue)

Can i install the stove and the flue closer to the wall by removing the existing plasterboard and re-lining with fireboard, this will allow a straight flue run up through the house, and less of an obtrusion into the living room

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is a diagram in my regs book that shows if you place a non combustible "shield" between the flue and the wall (no closer than 12mm from wall), you can reduce the gap between flue and wall to 1.5 times the pipe diameter.
The shield has to extend sideways at least 1.5 x D on each side.
You should really send a sketch to your local building inspector for their approval.

Thanks for the info, could 12.5mm fireboard be used as the heat shield with a 12.5mm air gap?

Well on the assumption that your fireboard is a non combustible surface, then yes.
But I guess the trick is fixing your fireboard without risk of heat transfer to a non comb surface (ie your wall).
Perhaps it's not strong enough without further support. Perhaps the "shield" needs it's fixings a long way from the flue.....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back