Maximum length of vitreous enamel pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read elsewhere online that the vitreous enamel pipe connecting a stove to a flexible flue liner should not be longer than somewhere between 1-2m (depending where you read). This is to prevent excessive heat loss in the flue gasses and is apparently a sensible recommendation rather than a regulatory requirement.

I have an unusually high inglenook fireplace where the distance from the top of the stove to the top of the inglenook opening is around 3m. Should I insert a section of twin-wall flue between the vitreous pipe and the flexible flue liner or run it all in vitreous pipe?

Sponsored Links
sirihi, good evening.

By no means am I an expert on such topics, but looking at things logically, a lot will depend on vertical distance between fire and chimney terminal?

I have seen some horror stories as regards flue gas cooling within even a steel commercial oil system, because the design and flue temperatures were wrong.

Ken.

I've read elsewhere online that the vitreous enamel pipe connecting a stove to a flexible flue liner should not be longer than somewhere between 1-2m (depending where you read). This is to prevent excessive heat loss in the flue gasses and is apparently a sensible recommendation rather than a regulatory requirement.

I have an unusually high inglenook fireplace where the distance from the top of the stove to the top of the inglenook opening is around 3m. Should I insert a section of twin-wall flue between the vitreous pipe and the flexible flue liner or run it all in vitreous pipe?
So your ceiling height is over 3m?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Yes we have very high ceilings... 3.8m!

I've spoken to a stove retailer and they recommended I go with maximum 1.4m of vitreous pipe and then convert to twin-wall before connecting to the flue liner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back