Stove Flue Pipe Clearance From Non Combustible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wanted to install a multi fuel stove into an unlined chimney flue which has been tested by a chimney sweep to be sound. However, when I place the stove the recommended min clearance of 76mm from the backwall, the 5" pipe will be a matter of 5 or 6 centimetres from the inside of the front ewall of the chimney breast which is brick. From my understanding it would need to be at least 19.1cm from non combustible material. Does anyone have any suggestions of a way around this?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
dallir i think this would be better off asked about in plumbing/heating section.there are more experienced lads in there to assist.
why can you not move the stove back another 14mm to get the clearance you require at the front, is that not possible or dont the manufacturers instructions allow this

Installing a stove is controlled building work, are you HETAS registered & qualified to do this work? Even if the flue is reported sound (currently & presumably an open fire), closed stoves are completely different & it would be unwise to install a multi-fuel stove without an insulated flue liner, you will seriously affect the stove efficiency & how long your brick chimney will last before it's destroyed by sulphuric acid!

You can DIY an open fire or stove install but you need to understand what your doing, the relevant Building Regs (which changed in October 2010), submit a Building Notice & pay a fee. Your LABC will inspect. Assuming everything is OK, they will issue a compliance certificate but the BI may want to witness smoke & spillage tests. No compliance certificate may lead to difficulties when you come to sell your property; if you cannot produce a compliance certificate in the event of a problem, your insurance company may invalidate your policy & reject any claim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back