Multi material worktop jig worth it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I am looking at fitting some worktops soon and am looking at the Trend jigs, many years ago I used the standard 35mm offset jig but now with modern surfaces the rounded edge is almost outdated so no longer need the offset hence the newer multi material jigs. Can a reduced offset to say 10mm be achieved by simply adding a suitably sized shim between the jig peg and the worktop or have I lost the plot and way off the mark ? Any thoughts please. Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can certainly handle true square corner mason's mitre cuts with different offsets by just using packers, although I personally found it a bit more awkward to "guesstimate" where the cuts were actually going to start. I also found it a faff to keep the packers in place, although it was doable using masking tape. Where it came unstuck (sic) was on worktops which went into an out of square corner - or 50% of the time in my life. On those having a worktop jig which can accommodate an out if square corner saves a lot on time and (hugely on) frustration of getting the cut to work. I never screwed up a worktop, but I came pretty close a time or two - getting one of those Trend kitchen worktop jig offset scriber (M/KWS01) was a great help but there was just too much suck it and see for me with packers and tape, so I eventully bought a new jig.

My new Trend jig has backset settings for 3, 5, 10, 24 and 35mm (had to look that up) and can accommodate out of square corners. I suppose the biggest plus is that the new jig can handle everything I've seen to date, from HPL to solid wood (with a small radius) to 38mm laminate with a rolled edge - but it wasn't cheap, so I'd say you'd need a number of worktops to install to justify the cost

Are you using square edged worktop?
Most of the "square edged worktop" I've seen isn't actually square, it has a slight radius on it (in the case of some HDF I looked at recently about 1.5mm - if that stuff is machined square it easily will slice into your fingers, from painful experience in the past) - which makes a 3mm back set on the jig a good idea

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back