multifuel stove and how to back it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, newbie here. Floundering in a mass of conflicting info, the internet is good for much but can be confusing. My new extension is up and weatherproof, the builders are installing plasterboard over those lightweight thermal cement blocks. I have an 8kw multi-fuel stove Hetas-installed on its proper slate hearth against one wall (no fireplace alcove) The stove installer left a sheet of cement board to back the stove, telling me to stick it over the dot and dab and plastered plasterboard. My builders are asking why we can't just stick it direct to the block wall and butt the plasterboard to it. The stove currently has a clearance of 6" behind it to the bare cement blocks. The cement board is big enough to extend well beyond the stove in all directions. I was thinking of tiling over the whole wall behind the stove after all the boards were installed.

Can anyone see any inherent problems here? I know I will need special tile adhesive and grout to deal with the heat, but what about the adhesive to connect the cement board to the blocks?

Any experts who could clarify things for me?

Sponsored Links
I tend to agree with your builder. My brother in law had problems with plasterboard near a woodburner.

I tend to agree with your builder. My brother in law had problems with plasterboard near a woodburner.

I had a load of new skim crack and blow off a wall behind a stove (thought the stove was far enough off the wall to prevent it, but I was wrong). I removed a rectangle of skim and fitted a piece of cement-based board to the wall with cement-based tile adhesive.

The key thing was to tile the board *before* fixing it to the wall, again using a cement-based adhesive. I didn't fancy my chances trying to tile neatly behind the stove.

I can't see any reason why your PB shouldn't be butted up to it, if that's easier for the builder.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back