What is the cost of installing multifuel stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My husband & I are considering installing a second stove in our property to a room with no chimney or fireplace at present.

My husband can do some of the work to keep costs down. He can install the hearth, vermiculite fire board (& Plaster) to walls and vent to floor and we shall purchase our own stove.

We would just need a hetas engineer to install a chimney through our flat roof and connect it to the stove. Im just wondering what kind of cost we might expect to pay for this installation work to be carried out including the cost of chimney.

We shall get some engineers in for quotes but i'd like to have an idea of what is a fair price to expect beforehand.

Sponsored Links
Every install is different but I've just paid £950 for a liner to be fitted to my existing (3 storey) chimney and the register plate, pipe to be supplied and the stove fitted. This is with a 25 year liner rather than a 10.

If you buy your own stove & use an independent HETAS installer (visit the HETAS website for a list & get several quotes) rather than a stove shop who will charge you the earth, you should be able to get a two floor (liner) installation including liner, insulation, register plate, cowl, fittings, testing & certification for less than £1000.

Plus the cost of the stove of course & any other building works necessary to the opening, hearth & ventilation to meet Building Regulations. If you intend to do some of the work yourself, make sure the installer is happy for you to do it as they will effectively be signing off!

Do not use gypsum plaster anywhere near a stove, it won’t stand regular exposure to more than 50 degrees C & will fall off!

Sponsored Links
If you buy your own stove & use an independent HETAS installer (visit the HETAS website for a list & get several quotes) rather than a stove shop who will charge you the earth, you should be able to get a two floor (liner) installation including liner, insulation, register plate, cowl, fittings, testing & certification for less than £1000.

Plus the cost of the stove of course & any other building works necessary to the opening, hearth & ventilation to meet Building Regulations. If you intend to do some of the work yourself, make sure the installer is happy for you to do it as they will effectively be signing off!

Do not use gypsum plaster anywhere near a stove, it won’t stand regular exposure to more than 50 degrees C & will fall off!

Thanks for that information Karis its really helpfull that's exactly the information I needed. we'll be sure to discuss with hetas installer before my husband goes ahead with the work & thanks for letting us know to avoid gypsum!

you may have fitted it yourself and saved money but unless it is fitted by an hetas engineer or sighned of from building contol your house insurace will be nil and void and you will not be able to sell your property without the certificate of compliance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back