Multifuel Stoves and Plasterboard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has probably been answered so many times over but....

Moved into a property with plasterboard walls in the lounge and an 'open plan' stove. Not encased, but situated with exposed flue pipe, and the required measurements away from wall. Have concerns about the plasterboard wall which can be very hot to the touch. We have no idea if the plasterboard has been replaced with fire-proofed board, though there are heat cracks running from either side of the hearth, up the walls, where plasterboards been joined together.

We dont fancy ripping down the plasterboard to check, would drilling into it give us some indication?

also, we were considering a heat proof 'splashback' similar to what can be mounted on kitchen walls behind hobs, wondered if there was a similar product to be placed behind a stove?

any suggestions are most welcome, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Before you moved into the property, presumably you had a survey done? Which would have highlighted any issue? If the alterations were done recently? then presumably you have a building regs report?

There seem to be standards in effect, that you don't mention? Did you do these checks? or are you squatting? :LOL:

Contact the installer/builder that did the work, it should be included in the welcome pack, when you moved in, to ensure that they complied with regs?

Firstly a stove must be installed by a registered HETAS installer or by notification through Building Control; ether route will provide a certificate of compliance which you must have. Incorrectly installed stoves can be extremely dangerous!

The materials use around the stove & over chimney breast above the fire & in the hearth are very important. Combustible material must not be used & Gypsum, either plaster or plasterboard, is useless as it will not withstand the heat. It will only stand around 50 degrees C & will break up eventually. If you do a search on the forum you will find several archive threads both myself & others have posted on; do a little initial research & come back with specific questions if you need.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you both for replying.

The stove would have been installed by a professional but when, I do not know, nor do I know who. I'm assuming around 2000 or so. There was no paperwork for the stove on our arrival - ive had to d/load an instruction booklet from the web.
I wish the previous homeowner had left a welcome pack!!! Dont think he knew that was the done thing :)

The survey didnt mention the stove at all in their report and there was no home report for this property as it was on the market before Dec 1st 2008.

Its currently on a hearth of 4 thick slate slabs and is the correct measurement from the wall. Its open plan - not in a chimney alcove - and given a section of plasterboard is visible on either side of the hearth (jointing is cracked) I can only presume it was changed when the space was converted into a lounge.

Husband has seen a stove with an arched heat defelector sitting, on the hearth and going around the back but we have not seen such a product since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back