Multinationals have to pay some tax, hooray.

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
"Big multinational companies will from Monday be subject to a global minimum tax for the first time, as landmark cross-border tax reforms go live, seeking to raise up to $220bn in extra annual revenue.

Almost three years after 140 countries struck a deal to close glaring loopholes in the international system, some major economies will from January start to apply an effective tax rate of at least 15 per cent on corporate profits.

Under a series of interlocking rules, if profit by a multinational is taxed below this rate in one country, other countries will be able to charge a top-up levy. The OECD, which drove the reforms, estimates it will increase annual tax revenue by as much as 9 per cent, or $220bn worldwide.

Jason Ward, principal analyst at the Centre for International Corporate Tax Accountability and Research pressure group, praised the “super smart design” of the reform. “It will reduce incentives from companies to use tax havens and incentives for countries to be tax havens,” he said, adding that it puts “a serious brake on what was a race to the bottom”.

The first wave of jurisdictions implementing the global minimum tax from January include the EU, UK, Norway, Australia, South Korea, Japan and Canada. The rules will apply to multinational companies with an annual turnover of more than €750mn.

Several countries long seen as havens by multinationals will take part, including Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Barbados, which previously had a corporate tax rate of 5.5 per cent.

Neither the US nor China have introduced legislation to do so yet despite backing the deal in 2021. But the global reforms are designed to still have a significant impact."

FT.com

Sponsored Links
So business goes from say Ireland to say Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka. Cayman Islands...
What can be done if they just don't pay, as now?
Apple specifically claims to already pay tax in the country where busness is done, but every year for years there's a headline like this:
= like £3.80 on £1200
..that's 0.3% tax.

It'll only apply on profits above something like $880,000pa, so they split the company into phones, computers and wearables and a couple of others and none would make enough profit..
etc etc?

I'll believe it when I see it.

So business goes from say Ireland to say Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka. Cayman Islands...
Apple specifically claims to already pay tax in the country where busness is done, but every year for years there's a headline like this:
= like £3.80 on £1200
..that's 0.3% tax.

It'll only apply on profits above something like $880,000pa, so they split the company into phones, computers and wearables and a couple of others and none would make enough profit..
etc etc?

If a problem looks intractable, you won't solve it by doing nothing.

= like £3.80 on £1200
..that's 0.3% tax.

etc etc?

The plan is to apply a top up tax in the region where the value was derived.

It means poor countries can no longer offer development incentives to attract investment.

I doubt too many global companies will be getting too upset at having to pay 15% minimum, but it will likely also damage Luxembourg, Denmark, Ireland etc as well as Caribbean tax havens.

It does nothing to stop international “licensing” deals to divert to countries which zero rate or low rate intellectual property.

Sponsored Links
A good start but let’s see how it pans out

Countries like Ireland won’t be happy

As long as they pay 15% corporate tax somewhere no accountants and treasury experts will need to break sweat.

It does mean there is no ability for a developing nation to use tax as an incentive to drive investment.

It does mean there is no ability for a developing nation to use tax as an incentive to drive investment.
Perhaps it is time for 'developed' nations to pay back the African countries after plundering their mineral wealth for four centuries.

As long as they pay 15% corporate tax somewhere no accountants and treasury experts will need to break sweat.

And, more importantly, it reduces the ability of tax-dodging multinationals to hide their profits in tax havens.

As you know.

Who says nothing is being done?

If a problem looks intractable, you won't solve it by doing nothing.

No-one said nothing is being done. :rolleyes:
Justin Passing suggested that the problem was massive, and he doubted the new taxes would be effective.

Jesus, I can't believe that I have to explain my comment because Mottie twisted it. :rolleyes:

Someone has started a thread about it on a DIY forum. Job done.
Big problems require big solutions, which require some extra inertia to get rolling.

No - I'm fully aware of the income inclusion rule and revenue clip.

I think muti nationals pay lots of accountants lots of money.

Very expensive.

Only 1 reason why

But the days of high techs routing all deals through Dublin, (even though seller and buyer were UK based) to avoid corporation tax are long gone. These days the mechanisms are much more complex and involve inter-divisional licensing, resale agreements and multi tier tax structures.

Sponsored Links
Back