Multiple building regs fee's?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
1st post and it's something I can't get my head around.
I've got some 'minor' brickwork mods to do.
In the kitchen I have to alter a window, the base is low (24" from floor) and I need to lift it 6 rows of bricks to get worktop under it. I also want (not need) to reduce the opening by half a brick to centralise it as the kitchen wall units will make the big 'not central' window obvious and it'll annoy me forever! I want to take the window out and do my mods, spoke to council and they say cost submission must include cost of new window in the opening? My window installer should cost this surely into his submission when they put the windows in? As I'm being told at the mo there is two sets of fee's for the same item? I'm costing the work for the brickwork only, am I being naieve here?
I've also got a door opening to create, same here, council say I must estimate total cost not just cost of builder creating opening, I'm doing the work but have to provide non-diy costs.
Does £1000 sound right to make 2100x1350 door opening, brick up 1 window, and alter 2 further window openings? I don't really want to get builders round knowing I'm only after their quotes and not getting them to do any work! I know this is all subjective but I'm on new ground dealing with this stuff.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Are you getting Fensa installation and Building Control approval confused?

Regarding windows and external doors you can either

employ a Fensa approved installer who needs to supply and fit your windows then issue you with a Fensa certificate.

or

you can fit the windows yourself and pay Building Control to inspect the windows who will then issue you with a certificate.

No need to pay Building Control to approve the windows if the window supplier/installer is Fensa approved.

Regarding the Building Regs fees this is based on how much it would cost a contractor overall to carry out the works and supply the materials not how cheaply you could do the works yourself.

Probably better off asking in the Building Section about costs tbh.

Not sure its relevant anyway AFAIK most Building Control departments have a set fee for works up to £2K so if you're under that its all a moot point anyway.

Hi,
The windows and door will be installed by a FENSA installer, I need to make the openings to my reduced size before they can come out to measure up, same for the door opening. They told me they can do the work but I want to do as much as I can to save costs (reality tells me this is a flawed idea!) and to be able to say I've done the work myself. Nothing like the satisfaction of DIY.
I've got the charges leaflet from council and their lower cost is for up to 1K, then 1-5K and 5-20K, £120, £264 and £396.
I guessed I needed to get planners involved due to me doing the brickwork. If the window compnay did the work then I suppose they do it all under 1 submission they'll need to send to the council when putting the windows in? No idea here myself.
I'll put a message up in the building section.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back