Alteration of existing window opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Upcoming kitchen re-fit will require moving some windows around - one window in the kitchen needs bricking up and another one needs slightly altering.

It's a small alteration - the current window is 1500mm wide x 1000mm tall. I'd like it reduced to 1100mm width - and I'm happy for the height to increase to maintain the window area if necessary.

Wall is solid brick and as far as I can tell the concrete lintel is a false lintel with just the bricks underneath.

I'm aware window installation has to be by a FENSA installer so I'll be getting the job done professionally. But what I can't work out is whether I need building regs approval for altering the window opening, or can I just let the builder get on with it?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
FENSA does not cover structural alterations to walls. It only covers the supply and fit of the frame.

But if you are only reducing an opening, using the same construction as the rest of the wall, then you won't need to apply for building regs for that work.

FENSA does not cover structural alterations to walls. It only covers the supply and fit of the frame.

But if you are only reducing an opening, using the same construction as the rest of the wall, then you won't need to apply for building regs for that work.

Sure - I meant that due to FENSA, I'd be getting the whole job done professionally rather than having a go myself.

My initial thought was that you wouldn't need approval. But I ask because I found the following on my local council's website:

Q: Do I need to make a building regulation application if I install replacement windows?
A: Yes, if it involves any structural alterations to the window opening. If not, as long as the company is FENSA registered, you do not need to make an application. We recommend that the new windows contain sufficient opening vents for emergency exit and background ventilators. If the building is a Listed Building you will require planning permission

Certainly if you widen the opening, it becomes a structural issue and subject to regs.
If you are building-in from one side with solid brick..........? Could be a moot point technically (ie Building Control could argue that they want
to ensure that the new 400mm length of brickwork is properly bonded to the existing, and not just a free-standing lump of masonry).
But ultimately they're after your fee.
Just get on with it and save your money.

Sponsored Links
Just get on with it and save your money.

I agree. The most difficult part of the job is making good on the outside so it doesn't turn out a pig's ear... is the builder going to tooth the new bricks to match the bonding pattern, where are you getting matching bricks from, etc. If it's rendered, a similar story...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back