multiple wastes - one pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im helping a mate install his new kitchen in a very tight flat. We need to put in washing machine, sink and dishwasher in a row across the back wall....currently away to the right on this same wall is the combi boiler and its overflow pipe runs along the wall behind where the appliances will go and into the main interior stack for the block of flats, away to the left. My query is regarding the wastes for these three appliances....can they all be linked together and run into the main stack through the hole the overflow curently occupies?....this would be simplest as the overflow could be put into the waste pipe a few inches before it enters the stack.

my thoughts were to put in a trap for the sink that has the fitting for the dishwasher waste hose....then add the washing machine on a seperate trap into the waste pipe further along....finally just before the waste enters the stack the smaller gauge overflow from the boiler would enter....

im interested to hear what people have to say about how many appliances can be carried by one waste, and whether it is acceptable to put the boiler overflow into the waste,

cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Im helping a mate install his new kitchen in a very tight flat. We need to put in washing machine, sink and dishwasher in a row across the back wall....currently away to the right on this same wall is the combi boiler and its overflow pipe runs along the wall behind where the appliances will go and into the main interior stack for the block of flats, away to the left. My query is regarding the wastes for these three appliances....can they all be linked together and run into the main stack through the hole the overflow curently occupies?....this would be simplest as the overflow could be put into the waste pipe a few inches before it enters the stack.

my thoughts were to put in a trap for the sink that has the fitting for the dishwasher waste hose....then add the washing machine on a seperate trap into the waste pipe further along....finally just before the waste enters the stack the smaller gauge overflow from the boiler would enter....

im interested to hear what people have to say about how many appliances can be carried by one waste, and whether it is acceptable to put the boiler overflow into the waste,

cheers

Use HepVo traps on the sink/w'machine/dishwasher/boiler condensate drain. These are "dry" traps and also act as air admittance valves. They allow free flow as they allow air to enter the drain and prevent vacuums. They prevent smells coming through too. Go to:
http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk

If the drains back up sewage can enter the boiler. It will not with these. http://www.bes.co.uk sell them

Have a 1.5 inch pipe into the stack and 32mm tees of this. Leave rodding points, like a rodding tee on the last appliance off the 1.5 inch.

thanks for the info,

my las couple of points for clarification if someone familiar with boilers can clarify...

Can the condensing boiler pipe be connected into a kitchen waste pipe?id love to hear from a corgi guy on this....

If had a look for a suitable fitting today, but not seen anything, any reccomendations?

I have considered installing a standpipe such as that for the washing machine waste and running the condense pipe into this...thus making it impossible for a blockage to flood the boiler....though as the boiler is above height of sink, im unsure that this could happen anyway.....

many many thanks in advance

Yes the boiler condensate drain can go into the kitchen waste.

With several appliances all into one waste stack I would personally run the common main waste run in 50mm with each branch in 40mm.

Sponsored Links
thankyou,
can anyone reccomend the best way to fit the small condensate pipe into a main waste pipe of 42 or 50mm pipe? ive not seen anything suitable in my local B&Q!

cheers,

For fitting into a 40mm waste fitting ask for a R17, or for 32mm waste fitting ask for a R16.

A cheaper option would be a solvent weld reducer.

All are available from any good plumbers merchant.

use a 40mm to 21.5mm reducer
but not from the sheds go to a plumbers merchant.

If all wastes are put into one pipe, would there not be a problem if the dish washer and washing machine drain at the same time, never mind putting a sink full of water down the plug hole at the same time??Could the backup of water cause problems with the machines pump?

Yes the boiler condensate drain can go into the kitchen waste.

With several appliances all into one waste stack I would personally run the common main waste run in 50mm with each branch in 40mm.

No need to oversize when using HepVos traps. Get to know about HepVo traps. And the condensate drain can go into the kitchen drain - using a HepVo trap.

If all wastes are put into one pipe, would there not be a problem if the dish washer and washing machine drain at the same time, never mind putting a sink full of water down the plug hole at the same time??Could the backup of water cause problems with the machines pump?

Using HepVO traps, any backup can't get past them - can't overflow also being check valves too. A 1.5 inch waste can handle a dishwasher, w/machine and sink.

I have considered installing a standpipe such as that for the washing machine waste and running the condense pipe into this...thus making it impossible for a blockage to flood the boiler....though as the boiler is above height of sink, im unsure that this could happen anyway.....

many many thanks in advance

I directed you towards HepVo traps - normal standpipe don't have them. These prevent backflow too. Using one of these for each appliance, inc boiler, will solve your problems.

Download the HepVo brochure from the Hepworth side and understand what they can do. If you don't use them you will have problems.

Well said Dr. D :idea: they are the way forward in sani. plumbing, without a doubt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back