Can anyone shed any light on this waste pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
F7F151B0-3793-4F71-8559-E47D1326C852.jpeg
this is the waste from my utility room. Had a sink and washing machine connected.

The main pipe goes into the main soil stack. But the smaller pipe goes up in the same direction as the stack towards my boiler. There is a similar pipe coming out of my boiler which I’m assuming is the pressure relief overflow. I’m guessing the two are connected.

However, because of how this pipe is connected it’s filling up with crap from the washer waste.

Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
It looks like the condensate pipe and it's very wrong.

It needs a proper connection to waste stack/pipework - technically it's part of the flue system and should be sorted by a GS registered engineer.

It looks more like the condensate pipe from the boiler and is very badly plumbed in if it is. Do you have a condensing boiler ?

Yeah it’s a flue condensing boiler. Potterton performa system HE.

Is there a simple way to check if it is coming from the boiler? Without ripping the wall out?

It’s been like this 11 years. What do I need to do to rectify it?

Only just had a bloody heating engineer here yesterday to cap off my gas hob. FFS.

Sponsored Links
Its a fairly easy thing to re plumb, but as stated above it should be done by a gsr engineer.

Its a fairly easy thing to re plumb, but as stated above it should be done by a gsr engineer.
Does it just need to go direct into the stack?

Will be a bit of a stinger if I have to get the gs engineer out again with him only being here yesterday.

Directly into stack would be fine ( closer to the boiler would be even better ). We are assuming its the condensate pipework ,it could be an overflow from a wc. I find it hard to believe a gsr would have connected it like that ,but of course its possible.

Does it just need to go direct into the stack?

Will be a bit of a stinger if I have to get the gs engineer out again with him only being here yesterday.

Directly into stack would be fine ( closer to the boiler would be even better ). We are assuming its the condensate pipework ,it could be an overflow from a wc. I find it hard to believe a gsr would have connected it like that ,but of course its possible.
You’d be amazed at what the plumbing company did. It’s LPG and the company weren’t even LPG certified so nothing worked properly. Then our heating and hot water were linked so we could only have hot water if the heating was on. Across the road they didn’t even connect the waste to anything. So every time the neighbours flushed their toilet it was just flowing under the garden.

They were absolute cowboys. As were the builders to be honest.

I’ll make sure it is the condensate pipework before I do it.

You’d be amazed at what the plumbing company did. It’s LPG and the company weren’t even LPG certified so nothing worked properly. Then our heating and hot water were linked so we could only have hot water if the heating was on. Across the road they didn’t even connect the waste to anything. So every time the neighbours flushed their toilet it was just flowing under the garden.

They were absolute cowboys. As were the builders to be honest.[/QUOTE

Unbelievable !! So it could even be your neighbours pipe !!!!

Well, Ive Ripped some plaster board off and the pipe disappears into the wall. So without taking the wall out I can’t check for certain.

As it’s already going into the stack, can I just connect it straight to the but as high as I can get it?

If so could someone point me in the right direction to the right connector please?
A7DD2CCF-9C8D-4C8A-9721-A60CE21FD8AF.jpeg

It could be a pipe from anywhere mate. Who knows. The more I rip out the more I’m surprised. Every kitchen unit was just screwed straight into the wall with 4” screws. No plugs. Nothing. And none of them would unscrew properly as the screws just spun so had to pull them all off the wall. I swear it was only the tiles and mastic holding them up.

Well thats not gonna be too easy ,pipe behind metalwork , soil stack further back and no easy access. Refer to your first pic....if you can join the condensate pipe into the vertical section of white waste pipe ,high up ,with sink waste etc lower that may be the best bet

Well thats not gonna be too easy ,pipe behind metalwork , soil stack further back and no easy access. Refer to your first pic....if you can join the condensate pipe into the vertical section of white waste pipe ,high up ,with sink waste etc lower that may be the best bet

Would this work?

Put t junction here and move condensate pipe up a bit?

There’s only going to be a washing machine waste going in here now as the sink has gone.

B9B46F28-87DE-45C8-9310-D2CBB9F2D479.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back