Waste pipe leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The stand pipe is leaking where it connects to the boss pipe that sits in the concrete soil stack. Do I need a new boss pipe and stand pipe for the washing machine waste? Also, the boss pipe is not secured to the concrete stack and lifts out. Is this right?

20171009_141117.jpg 20171009_141122.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like a push fit boss, so yes the pipe in it will usually pull in and out. The seal is probably worn now though and isn't as tight as it should be so time to renew. If the compression seals on the stand pipe are still ok then no need to replace but if they're in the same condition as the boss then no harm in replacing that too. Make sure it's all well supported too.

Hi Rob, just been to Wickes and they said I needed a soil boss pipe but when I said it doesn't have a seal on it, the guy said it they don't need one as just sit in the hole. Is this right? Could I silicone around to create a seal? I've also bought a 40mm boss adapter for the new washing machine trap I bought.

Lol, don't listen to that numpty @jtmk , he's talking rubbish, the pipe doesn't just sit in the hole FFS!!

The boss adapters on those pipes are usually 55mm, they then need a 54mm core drill to take the centre out and then either a 40/32mm push fit boss adapter fits into that and then the waste pipe is pushed into that or a 40mm/32mm solvent weld adapter is glued in and then the waste pipe is glued into that.

You need to check what yours is, if the adapter that the waste pipe tail is currently pushed into is rubber (if the pipe currently moves then it probably is) then you need to pop the old one out & replace it with one of these

shopping

Sponsored Links
Hi Rob,

I don't think I explained myself properly. I am talking about the concrete hole with the lip and the plastic boss going into this and not the waste pipe for the washing machine going into the boss. The bloke at Wickes said that the boss sits in the concrete soil pipe with no seal, is that right?

Ah soz @jtmk yup thought you were talking about the boss itself. Depends what's in that clay pipe really, usually there would be a socket piece of soil pipe in the mortar and then the boss pipe would push into that, or the boss pipe itself is mortared in. No it shouldn't just sit in it though, it should be sealed in.

If it is just sitting in it then pull it out, clean it and the hole in the mortar and then use a wet grab adhesive to 'glue' it back into place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back