Waste to which external pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I shortly need to plumb in the whole bathroom and kitchen area. Is it ok to send shower/sink waste into soil stack(will be new stack)) and bath waste into normal downpipe (as before)? Similarly the washing machine/kitchen sink waste into soil pipe. Does it really matter which waste goes to which external pipe or can i go for the most convenient and nearest? Also the bathroom sink waste will need to go under the floor boards - is this ok?

Sponsored Links
Can go into either pipe providing the pipe discharges into the foul sewer, not a storm drain.

Older properties have a 'combined' system where all water goes into the sewer. Newer buildings are required to have separate systems, rainwater and run off from roofs, paved areas etc goes into storm drain, toilets, sinks etc into the foul sewer.

Sponsored Links
House is 1930's so presumably in this instance i can go for either soil pipe or normal down pipe? Just my neighbour said washing machine waste and bath waste should be going to soil pipe although they are closest to normal down pipe..

rather than guess, you ought to open a cover and get someone to run water down first one pipe, then the other.

maybe the rainwater goes to a soakaway or stream, you won't know until you check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back